News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office 365 Update Crashes Right Click Context Menu

Posted on WShlewton Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Office 365 Update Crashes Right Click Context Menu

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        WShlewton
        AskWoody Plus

Once again Office 365 tried to update, and there was no reason for it because auto updates were stalled. Once again it caused the Right Click options of Open, New, and Print to vanish. I am told these options are installed with the installation of Office. In addition, this time, and maybe it was the same before, a Windows support technician also noticed that the option to scan using Windows defender was missing.

It appears they are now saying that a clean install is necessary but that is the last thing I would want to do. So, in watching the first Office support person I noticed he tried to edit the Registry key –

HKEY-CLASSES_ROOT

shellex

ContextMenuHandlers

but it did no good. I am thinking he may have had the wrong Registry key.

Does anyone know what Registry Key the installation of Office 365 edits to give the Right Click menu the Open, New, and Print options? And then what editing needs to be done to fix this problem.

Thanks

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by WShlewton.
    Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office 365 Update Crashes Right Click Context Menu

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.