News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office for Macs patches: where can one learn if they are good enough to install?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Office for Macs patches: where can one learn if they are good enough to install?

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have Office 2016 installed in my Mac BookPro ca. mid-2015. I get, the same as for Windows, monthly Office-for-Macs patches from MS every Patch Tuesday and, same as with Office for Windows, I postpone installing them for much as four weeks, or after all indications of trouble with the patches for the Windows version have subsided here and in a couple of other Windows-oriented sites; only then I patch Office both in the Windows PC and in the Mac.

But this is based on the unproven guess that both versions of Word have much the some problems, when even the people developing them might belong (for all I know) to different teams.

So, the question: does anyone here know how and where one can learn about problems with MS patches for the Mac versions of Office?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2100059 Reply
        Marty
        AskWoody Plus

Excellent question, which I share.  I have generally waited several weeks before installing Mac Office patches, but it has always seemed like a crapshoot.  I would appreciate some more reliable information before installing them in the future.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2100441 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft Office for Mac updates aren’t included in my AskWoody AKB. I can see if we can create one on here.

My only issue is I don’t use Office for Mac regularly, only occasionally, mostly when I need to check a file before sending it to a Windows user. There are other apps I use for the bulk of my work.

My copy of office is set to update automatically since if an update breaks, it isn’t a major issue for me since I have plenty of other apps I use for mission-critical stuff. I have had Office updates totally break Office for Mac in the past (one time it kept signing me out and tossing my Office 365 activation, and Microsoft couldn’t easily figure it out).

So my advice would be:

• Wait as long as you can to install Office for Mac updates if you rely on Office for Mac for mission-critical work. Check the Office for Mac forums regularly to see if anyone has any issues with Office for Mac updates, as that’s where many voice their frustrations.
        • Have backup productivity apps handy: for word processing, I recommend keeping a copy of Nisus Writer Pro around (it’s cost-effective and solid). For presentations, I recommend keeping a copy of Keynote around (it’s free and generally pre-installed on Macs). I use both of those more regularly than Word and PowerPoint.

Nathan Parker

• #2100451 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan: Thanks. Would you recommend a particular Web site for finding out if there are problems with Office for Macs, patches in particular?

As a possible alternative to Word and Excel I have Keynote that, as you wrote, comes preinstalled in Macs. But I have never used it. From Office, I only use Word both to create and to read Word documents, mainly work-related, and the same is true of Excel, which I use for making some graphic plots and also for filling some work-related forms that come in Excel spreadsheets, a matter where I have no choice but to comply. So I wonder if Keynote might be compatible with Word or with Excel. I also have LibreOffice. I have tried it and seemed compatible enough for what I need, except filling out those forms. But I have put using it aside, having been kept busy with other things for a while now.

• #2100462 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

The Microsoft Office for Mac forums would be the place where people complain directly to Microsoft on issues with updates, so I would check there first. Other than that, I don’t know any off the top of my head.

Keynote isn’t compatible with Word or Excel, but the other two apps in Apple’s productivity suite are compatible with their respected apps, which would be Pages being compatible with Word and Numbers being compatible with Excel.

NeoOffice is also an alternative to LibreOffice with a more Mac-native feel.

Nathan Parker

• #2100473 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan: Thanks for explaining compatibility between Office and similar software for Macs and for explaining where to look for information on Office for Macs and their patches. And I look forward to any other suggestions you and PK might come up with.

• #2100474 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Sounds good. I can chat with PKCano to see what we can come up with, although I’ll need someone to be the MS Office guinea pig when testing updates, as I don’t use it enough to offer solid advice as to when to install updates. I’ve been burned too much with it in general in the past where I don’t use it for my daily work.

Nathan Parker

• #2110040 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

By the way, here is the Office for Mac forums:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/mso_mac?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

This page also lists the update history for Office for Mac. While it doesn’t give guidance as to when to install Office for Mac updates, at least you can read up on what the updates are before installing them:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac

Nathan Parker

• #2110054 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan

Thanks for those two links. The first one is an MS-run discussion forum dedicated to Office for Macs. The second, also of MS, is a description of the versions of Office for Mac released, listed month after month. There are, according to this site, two kinds of Office for Macs: with “Teams” and without. “Teams” is about the collaborative use of Office 365. Is “without Teams” the sort of Office one has bought and has installed in one’s Mac?

• #2110057 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

The second link:
            With Teams is the Business/Pro version. Without teams is the comsumer version.
            If you need updates for individual components (Word, Excel, etc) they are in the right column.
            Older updates are in the lower section (note there is a break point between 32-bit and 64-bit in 2016).
            This is like the Catalog for Windows Update – manual download/install.
            If you have updates turned on in Office, you should be getting these either automatically or when you choose.

• #2110080 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks, PK. I have Office updates set to “when I choose”, and, starting on Patch Tuesday (the same as for Windows) I am daily reminded that “updates for Office are available”, either some time after midnight, if I am up late enough, or else first thing after I log in the Mac to start a new daily session. The reminder shows up as a little slip on the upper-right corner of the Desktop that offers two options: “Install” or “Dismiss” and an small arrow one can click on to see in a drop down list what Office applications are the patches for.

So I keep on clicking on “Dismiss” for the four weeks following Patch Tuesday.

Sometimes the patch turns out to be for the updater itself, which I install right away and then make sure that my “when I choose” setting remains unchanged, otherwise, I set it back to “when I choose.”

Now I am adding to my monthly patching procedure: (a) looking first for relevant information in those two sites with the links provided by Nathan, while (b) keeping in mind your explanation of them.

• #2110083 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

While you are at it, look through your settings in Office and be sure you have MS’s data collection set to “Basic” instead of “Full” (or whatever they call the BIG slurp). The choice is the same as in Win10, Basic or everything. (Tell me why you were in Group B 🙂 ) and there is no “Turn it off” like there used to be. I went over that in a conversation with you when I stoped updating it for that reason. It was way back in one of the earlier Topics I did in the MacOS Forum).

• #2110085 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

PK: I am not sure where to find those Office settings you mention. I just checked the ones I have set up myself, by looking in: Word/Preferences/Security and Privacy, and I have them as shown in the attached screenshot. I am wondering about the one allowing some files to be converted by MS “in the Cloud.”

Screen-Shot-2020-01-25-at-8.24.47-PM

P.S.: Why am I a member of the Windows 7 Group B (and soon, sadly, to be Group W for ever)? Let me answer yours with another question: Where do you want me to begin? Really, PK: by now, in Woody’s alone, enough has been written about this issue to fill a rather long bookshelf with several fat volumes. So I refer you to those, if you really want to know the answer and have enough patience to put up with reading through much of said material, which is more than a tad less than immortal prose or even makes a whole lot of sense…

Attachments:
              • #2110088 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

I can’t tell you anything about that b/c I didn’t update for that very reason. That is not in my settings. Mine still say “Share with Microsoft” and the box is unchecked. That was the old setting, you had a choice. I wouldn’t touch that with a 10-foot pole. 🙂

• #2110089 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

I just found out that I do not need to have that option checked, because in the case of Office for Macs, it only helps to convert PDF to Word documents, which is something I have not found any need to do since I started using office (and Windows), back in ’98 and very much doubt I’ll ever need to do in the future. So I have disabled that particular item by unchecking it:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/why-does-the-microsoft-online-service-need-to-convert-some-office-files-ef8ff042-c40c-4d9f-9d11-0d21f88e4179?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• #2110094 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

I just looked in PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote and they all have some items in About/Office application name/Preferences/Security and Privacy that the others don’t have. Those I had already unchecked in Word were also unchecked in them; one I had not, because it was not listed in Word’s “Preferences”, enabling MS to peek into my computer, I have unchecked now.

In case some people may want to know: I have Office 2016 for Macs.

• #2110104 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss
    Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office for Macs patches: where can one learn if they are good enough to install?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.