News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office Mac Macro Disabling Issue

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Office Mac Macro Disabling Issue

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 1 month ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP
    • #2003042 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

So, disabling all macros in Office: bad idea. To have Office for Macs fully patched: good idea.

I do  not use any of those things mentioned in the article and don’t mind having Office’s macros in my Win 7 PC or my Mac. They have never done me any harm, that I’ve noticed.

So, question: Why do people want to disable Office’s macros, anyway?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2003076 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

At times there is a way to spread viruses through macros, and some macro viruses can affect Office for Mac I believe.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2003138 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

At times there is a way to spread viruses through macros, and some macro viruses can affect Office for Mac I believe.

… and since macros have a mechanism to execute system-level commands, they’ll have access to plenty of things in your computer.

They can also be written to trigger the installation of external applications, including keyloggers and other spyware…

Writing a macro that’ll wipe all your personal files if allowed to run as is, is trivial. Even seen one that supposedly came about by accident… which wiped all personal files unless you had a specific language version of documents folder on disk already.

So yeah, it’s not only intentional malware that you need to look out for, some of the damaging ones actually are honest mistakes and accidents.

Yes, you do need macro security.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office Mac Macro Disabling Issue

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.