News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office Personal new subscription questions

Posted on ArtistAnn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Office Personal new subscription questions

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        ArtistAnn
        AskWoody Plus

I have been researching a switch from MS Office 2016 to the personal subscription plan.  There are some things I’ve read online that I have not been able to verify in my search of Microsoft’s websites:

1. Subscriptions are now tied to a person’s cell phone number and completing the subscription sign-up requires entering a texted code.  (No one in our household owns a cell phone.)
        2. The personal plan allows one person to install Office on one/three/five/unlimited devices.
        3. The devices must be different: one desktop, one laptop, and one tablet are okay; two desktops, not permitted; a desktop and a laptop count as two PCs, so not permitted.  [Or, as Woody might say, your turntable and HAM radio are okay, but only if you use them in different states.  😉 ]

Ann

Desktop PC, Win 10 Home v. 1909, MS Office 2016, Adobe Photoshop & Bridge 2020
      • #2286480 Reply
        access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I have MS365 family rather than personal. I can’t remember having to give them a mobile phone number – and can’t see it in my account.

Personal seems to say on one PC only

I’ve got mine on two desktops and a laptop, so that would seem wrong.

• #2286482 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Probably one User only. Maybe several devices for that one User?

• #2286492 Reply
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

Yes, one user multiple devices. You mean Microsoft 365 Personal (formerly known as Office 365 Personal)? Confusing, but Im lost in these new names too.

@ArtistAnn
            It should be best to ask some local M365 dealer, but..

Subscriptions are now tied to a person’s cell phone number and completing the subscription sign-up requires entering a texted code

I think could be related to Microsoft account. You will be forced to create Microsoft Account, if you dont have already one.
            But verification can be done through email too.
            Telephone number is optional.

Also, in Czech Republic, if SMS is sent to “old-fashioned” phone, robot will read it for you. Dunno if it is possible in your country.

The personal plan allows one person to install Office on one/three/five/unlimited devices.

Five devices. All can be “same type” (PC, MAC, Mobile phone, …)

General info

How to sign

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2286495 Reply
        anonymous

Install Office on all your devices, sign in to five at the same time

Important news about your Microsoft 365 subscription

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office Personal new subscription questions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.