News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office Update 20Nov2019

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Office Update 20Nov2019

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rdleib 2 weeks ago.

• Author

rdleib
      AskWoody Plus

Win10 1903. I have updates paused,  feature updates for 180 days, quality updates for 30 days, paused until 12/2/2019.

This morning (0900) when I tried to open a spreadsheet, excel (2019) wouldn’t open, a box opened up and said Microsoft was updating Office. The box stayed open a bit, then another box opened that said the app failed to open correctly. When I closed that the update box was gone. So I tried to open Word (2019) and the same thing. Finally I rebooted the computer and there was no more “update” box, everything appears normal. Nothing showed on the screen when I was rebooting indicating an update was being installed.

Then I read Office 365 crashed this morning. Seems like quite a coincidence. I checked my updates and the only thing updated today according to the update history is defender.

Anyone have an idea what happened? Can a crash of Office 365 impact Office 2019? I have Windows Defender and Malewarebytes Premium running, nothing in either of those that would indicate something evil… Thanks for any help/ideas.

• #2008729 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

I believe all the current Office suites use the click-to-run update process. This can sometimes take a while to complete. To see the updates, go to File (or Home), Account (or Office Account), Update Options drop down, then View Updates.

--Joe

• #2008891 Reply

rdleib
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Joe. I did as you advised, wish the “view updates” showed actual updates on my computer with dates and such rather than generic new features… That said I have had previous updates when opening one of the office apps, but never had them crash the app and not install – wasn’t able to open any office apps until I rebooted. Anyway, thanks for the insight, appreciate the response.

• #2008913 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

I’ve had some strange things happen when I tried using an Office app during an update. Crash, not start, no error message, some strang message. I generally check for updates in one of the apps pretty regularly. When an update starts I just shutdown all Office apps and wait (usually impatiently) for the update to complete.

--Joe

• #2008953 Reply

rdleib
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve never deliberately updated office, but just did after your comment and it did update just fine, so will have to do that on a regular basis. Thanks for the tip, Joe.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office Update 20Nov2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.