News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Office updates without Win 10 Defcon 2 update?

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2016 for PC Office updates without Win 10 Defcon 2 update?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        CYinVT
        AskWoody Plus

Today when I launched Excel and Word, I got prompted to install updates.

I’ve had my desktop machine on a Metered Network setting to wait until the Windows 10 update (2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4489868)) status shakes clean… assuming that will eventually happen.

Is there any way for me to install the Office updates and not the Windows 10 update?

Or… should I be holding on both at this time?  Patch guidance seems to indicate that’s the way to go for now.

Thanks for any guidance,

Cindy in Vermont

• #344925 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can use wushowhide.diagcab, downloadable from Microsoft (see yellow/orange bar at bottom of page), to hide updates temporarily. You might want to read AKB2000013 explaining how to clear the Windows Update queue to be sure you get the updates you want, not what’s in the queue by default.

DEFCON refers to patching in general. The idea is to wait on all patches and let someone else be the Guinea pig.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Office updates without Win 10 Defcon 2 update?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.