News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Office365 colors

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello,
        I already admitted, that I have to respect Office 365 color schemes and that they are not customisable (correct me if I am wrong). In 2021 Office365 offers astounding number of 4 (four !!!) color schemes. Which I really do not understand how it could have been rolled out in wide public, because gray on gray, two white and one black is just not suffcient for me in 2021, especially when we were forced to upgrade, because Office 2010 were not safe aymore. UGH!)

But I really do not understand how I ca change the highlight color of selcted cells. Maybe I am looking in wrong places, but can this be changed? See the screenshot, so you will understand what I am asking for. I cant really see which cell is selected in the table, that has thick borders. there just not enough contrast. Dark green and black are not recognisable for me.

Please can you help me and point me to the right direction? I cant even google this question, maybe I translate my question from czech to english incorrectly. Do you see, which cell is selected? In Office 2010 it was clear. In Office 365 I cant see it. But its nice to have this secure and nice looking application installed (*sarcasm*).

excel-1

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by doriel.
        • This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by doriel. Reason: oh grammar
        Attachments:
        8string
        AskWoody Plus

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>I’m on an iPad this morning but my iPad Excel shows a distinct border around my highlighted cell. I would go back to your settings. I think there’s something wrong with your settings in either Excel or Windows. Sorry I don’t have my laptop here to help more. But I can’t duplicate your issue. Excel-highlight

</span>

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by 8string.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by 8string.
        Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Thank you, @8string.
          I have distinct border around selected cell too. (see CZLIB-DT201 cell on my screenshot).
          I want to change selected selected cell border color to red, for example. Does anyone know how to do that? Default color is not enough for me.

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I assume this is Excel, are any of the attached any good?

excel1
        excel2
        excel3

The third one was formatted by selecting the cells and then home/format as table, then select one that suits.

Every day is the dawn of a new error

Attachments:
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Try this VBA code to change the cell colour when you click a cell or a group of cells.

Code:
        Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

Sh.Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6

End Sub

It’s placed in the ‘ThisWorkBook’

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/change-the-default-color-excel-2007-uses-to/cf34c720-cb3f-42ba-b713-48c43c8ba027

Experimenting with the ‘ColorIndex value’ (6) gives different colours.

Saving as an ‘Excel Macro-Enabled Booklet’ preserves the ability to change selected cell colours.

Note: All the entries shown in the Excel animation are fictitious. They don’t exist.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Moonshine.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks, but this is just not acceptable solution, cant save all my sheets as XLSM, especially in company environment. But its good for one file. Good to know this and thank you for your assistance.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello to all and thanks for you replies. Unfortunatelly responses disapeared, maybe there was recovery happening last night 😉

I saw some replies, advising to set it via VB. Which is OK, but I was more thinking about “general solution”, that sets this color to ALL my viewed Excel files. Which cannot be done, I suppose. Now Im trying to find workaround. There exists some excel VBA file, that you can use for all excel files, but so far no luck.

Look at screenshot from Office2010.

excel2010

Can you see the differecne? How nicely you can recognize selected cell? I can.
        Office 365 proved once again, that its not worth the money they cost. Its futility (at least for me).

Addition: I wanted to report this “bug”, but I can report “sad smiley” only from “File tab”. I cannot add screenshot from exec file itself, so they can see what I mean, maybe Im not the only one complaining. I just really dislike this “new and astounding” application, its useless for me and it makes my work harder.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by doriel.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by doriel. Reason: feedback
        Attachments:
        anonymous

Doriel I don’t see the same thing that you see on your screen for the new office 365. I don’t know why you’re seeing a different screen situation there, maybe you should reinstall the product, or maybe there’s something I missing in your configuration. My excel 365 clearly shows The cell that is chosen.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I can replicate this issue on all our Office 365 click to run installations.
          Maybe I didnt stress out, that I set thick cell borders in the table.
          thick

When cells have thick black borders, its unclear which single cell is selected.
          Office 2010 cleverly inverted the color, if there was not enough contrast. Office 365 cant.

I work lot in Excel, so its big issue for me. Now I have to set different border colors in all my shets in order to recognize selected cell. mmmmmm..

I thought someone could have an idea, nevermind.

Attachments:
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

So the solution is to set table color different from the default, it looks good when I change it according what @access-mdb sent. The first and the third are clearly visible for me. The middle one is “the gray area” where I start to squint eyes 🙂

I have to rework lot of my tables because of update (*UGH*), but what can one do.. In Excel 2010 I had never this issue, why they removed inverting colors for thick borders anyway?

Maybe sheet sharing is to blame?

spoluautorstvi

Attachments:
        TJ
        AskWoody Plus

If I understand your question correctly you just want certain cell borders to have a specific color, right? And you just want to be able to apply that to any cell you choose?
        Than for me, the simplest way is right-click on cell > ‘Cell properties’ > tab ‘Border’ > ‘Color’ is default on “Automatic”, but via the drop down you can choose any color you like for the border – and even a different color for each vertical/horizontal/top/bottom line seperately. (See screenprint)
        Beware that you have to choose the color before the lines are set.

I now see this is about colors when selecting a cell, so never mind the above.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by TJ. Reason: call me stupid
        Attachments:
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Hi @TJ and thanks for the tip. But Im trying to change color of selected cell. Its hardcoded to some sort of dark green in Office365 which is just not enough contrast for me to the black.
          If I set border to thick, I cant see clearly which cell is selceted. See my initial post and try to see, which cell is selected on the picture.

TJ
            AskWoody Plus

Yes, I see that now. Sorry for the deviation.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Its OK, I wellcome every tip. For example I never thought about setting every single side of cell with different color 🙂 Looks cool 🙂

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I found the solution for this. At least some.. It works on my computer. And only there, since the solution is to place code into personal.xlsb (C:\Users\**user**\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart)
        Also, I must run the macro, but its just few clicks.

There must be some tweaking done for some elegance (like hide personal.xlsb, because it opens on the background, solution = command Windows(“Personal.xlsb”).Visible = False), but it can be done for sure.

I will make a clear how-to and I can post it here, if someone is interested.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Office365 colors

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.