News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Okiru: Mirai Botnet – Possible Widespread IoT Exposure

Home Forums AskWoody support Connected home / Internet of things Questions: Other home/IoT products Okiru: Mirai Botnet – Possible Widespread IoT Exposure

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

mazzinia
      AskWoody Lounger

And while we all focus on our “dear” windows machines

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/16/arc_iot_botnet_malware/

something likely a lot more worse ( exponentially worse ) shows up.

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #159726 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Lounger

IoT is a disaster waiting to happen. I’m afraid it will take a cyberwarfare type of catastrophe for enough people to finally realize that it’s a bad idea to connect the stuff in your home to the Internet.

Love the name of that infosec group, BTW.  🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #159732 Reply

Seff
          AskWoody Plus

Not just the stuff in your home, but cars too. Mind you, it’s not just the hacked cars we’ll have to contend with, it’s the driverless ones too! Bring back the Model T Ford!

• #174985 Reply

MrJimPhelps
            AskWoody_MVP

The 1960s was the best decade for cars. For most of that decade, you had pure, strong cars; and you were surrounded with strong metal. Too bad we can’t go back to that time.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
            with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
            1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #159872 Reply

Sessh
          AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, I agree totally. So many people are easily hypnotized by “cool” technology without having even a single thought about the consequences of such technology. “Convenience” is going to be the end of us, it really will be. It’s great to know cars are susceptible to malware now so it can drive people off cliffs and floor it through red lights at busy intersections and even then, I’m sure they will find a way to blame the “driver” and passengers for it.

People are so myopic when it comes to this stuff. Technology only makes things more complicated and more dangerous when it is used irresponsibly and the priorities are geared towards profits, advertising and deceptively invading people’s privacy while things like safety, reliability, security and efficiency take a back seat.

Tech has such great potential to do so much good and yet, it is used for unnecessary things like this which only put us in more danger and make us less safe. Empire building and perpetual war doesn’t help, either. Now, we’re talking about cars where people’s lives are at risk from malware and we can’t push this tech out fast enough anyway. Just goes to show you exactly where these people stand when it comes to human life and profits.

A catastrophe is unavoidable IMO. It’s just a matter of “when” at this point and when it happens, somehow, I’m sure almost everyone will be surprised and will be saying things like “No one could have seen this coming!” and “How could this have happened?” We’re going to have to destroy ourselves before we understand.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #159977 Reply

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

This is my answer to Sessh’s opinion. But FIRST:

I think this topic deserves getting a separate ‘Lounge” thread all by itself, because I feel it is THAT important.

SECOND:

I have educated myself on this problem, and this is a good description I have found of it:

“Pop quiz! What’s the second-most-popular CPU core in the world? First place goes to ARM, of course, but who’s the runner-up?

If you guessed MIPS, PowerPC, x86, Tensilica, 8051, or XMOS, you’re wrong. (In good company, but still wrong.) The correct answer is: ARC.

According to Synopsys, 1.3 billion ARC processors were embedded into chips last year, and that number is growing by about 300 million per year. That puts ARC second only to the mighty ARM. Must be something about the name. Maybe all those designers thought they were getting ARM but licensed ARC by accident.

Not likely. ARC and ARM are vastly different beasts, even though both occupy the same phylum (or is that genus?) of the microprocessor taxonomic tree. They’re both 32-bit RISC processors; both are offered as licensed IP; both are used in SoC development; and both have a number of variations and configuration options. One runs practically every cellphone and tablet in the world, while the other one appears in… uh… where do all those billions of ARC processors go?

“In just about anything that’s not a cellphone or a tablet, really. ARC-based chips are in cameras, utility meters, televisions, flash drives, cars, and on and on. Think “embedded system” or “system on chip” and you run a good chance of identifying a product harboring at least one ARC processor. (Extra credit for knowing that ARC has more licensees than ARM does, too.)”

More, here: https://www.eejournal.com/article/20131106-archs/

FINALLY, Sessh:

I cannot be in more agreement with your opinion, which has been mine too since the early days of the open, commercial use of the Internet by way of the WWW — and the appearance of the first worms, etc. crawling through it. I remember having a conversation, nearly a generation ago, while taking some fresh air in the little porch at the back of a train taking me to Oslo, with a younger man who happened to be working, already that early in the game, on self-driving cars and was gushing enthusiastically about his project. I did not make a friend, that time, by explaining to him that, in my opinion and based on my own, hands-on experience with the critical technology: GPS, the idea was, at least at that point, bound to be dangerously unreliable and likely to become better the way trains (as the one we were traveling on) eventually did: through a series of hair-rising b***** catastrophes that pushed the use of new and of better security measures to eliminate the new problems each new catastrophe had revealed. Nothing I have seen or heard since then has made me any less skeptical about this whole idea of self-driving cars (and pickup trucks, and 18-wheelers…)

Now we also have the coming, seemingly unstoppable, of something much vaunted and loved by prestige- and  money-hungry Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and such: the Great Internet of Things, so we will be able to still do, but with considerably more danger, things that, in many cases, people have been doing for tens of thousands of years without the benefit of the IoT, and with no major complaints.

But what a wonderful opportunity for those keen early adopters of newfangled gadgetry to do themselves in and thus give fair warning to the rest of humanity at their own cost!

And, to top it all, we also have coming, among other much promised wonders: flying cars and a drone-in-every-pot, so to speak, to make life so much interesting and exiting to one and all… with every day a new adventure in survival against the odds!

OK: this has nothing much to do with dodgy NET. updates and such, but it feels good to have it off my chest. Still not quite “rave” material, I would think.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #160059 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

New Mirai botnet species ‘Okiru’ hunts for ARC-based kit
      Researchers: Code designed to hit Linux devices

By John Leyden | 16 Jan 2018

A new variant of the notorious Mirai malware is exploiting kit with ARC processors.

The nasty, dubbed Okiru, is the first capable of infecting devices powered by ARC CPUs. This is according to Japan-based malware researcher UnixFreaxjp of the infosec group Malware Must Die.

RISC-based ARC embedded processors are used in a variety of internet-connected products including cars, mobiles, TVs, cameras and more. The discovery of malware capable of infecting such devices is troubling because of how much damage IoT botnets have caused in the past.

Read the full article here
      (as originally posted by @mazzinia – moved here

3 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Okiru: Mirai Botnet – Possible Widespread IoT Exposure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.