• OlderGeeks.com is not secure

Author
    Topic

Chrome Version 104.0.5112.29

Viewing 10 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I get the same message in Firefox 102.0

Just an expired site certificate. Whoopsie…

oldergeeks_expired_certificate

Have sent email to thegeek@oldergeeks.com warning them. No doubt it’ll be corrected soon.

7 users thanked author for this post.

If that is a genuine update of Chrome (is it?) then in my Mac the situation is this:

(The version numbers are the same for Windows, macOS and Linux.)

Chrome is up to date
      Version 103.0.5060.53 (Official Build) (x86_64)

(According to elsewhere on the Web, the latest version of Chrome has a number that ends in .66, not .53 …  isn’t that life, or what?)

So: No sign here (yet?) of Chrome Version 104.0.5112.29

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Beta:

Beta Channel Update for Desktop
        Wednesday, June 29, 2022
        The Beta channel has been updated to 104.0.5112.29 for Windows,Mac and Linux.

Chrome Beta for Android Update
        Wednesday, June 29, 2022
        Hi everyone! We’ve just released Chrome Beta 104 (104.0.5112.29) for Android. It’s now available on Google Play.

Chrome Beta for iOS Update
        Thursday, June 30, 2022
        Hi everyone! We’ve just released Chrome Beta 104 (104.0.5112.29) for iOS; it’ll become available on App Store in the next few days.

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.382 (group ASAP) + Microsoft 365

2 users thanked author for this post.

Anyone know why Oldergeeks website only has a THREE MONTH cert? That’s really short …no wonder they forgot!

The free cert letsencrypt is a three month cert.  That’s normal for that certificate.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

The connection is still secure as it uses HTTPS, but the certificate has expired.

Someone should put them onto LetsEncrypt.

cheers, Paul

The connection is still secure as it uses HTTPS, but the certificate has expired.

cheers, Paul

It doesn’t use HTTPS with my version of Chrome 104. see #2457809

Without a valid SSL certificate, it’s impossible to make a HTTPS connection (your browser requires the hash contained in the SSL certificate to “encrypt/decrypt” the packets going back-and-forth between it and the website!)

Anyone know why Oldergeeks website only has a THREE MONTH cert? That’s really short …no wonder they forgot!

Because it’s a free cPanel AutoSSL certificate and, like LetsEncrypt’s free certificates, only lasts 90 days.

Just like LetsEncrypt, cPanel’s AutoSSL certificates are “suppose” to start auto renewal attempts 15 days before they expire. Obviously that didn’t happen in this case.

BTW, the site was just issued a new certificate that’s good thru Oct 1 so it’s back up as HTTPS.

Checked just now. Fixed for the next 3 months.

This is a real pain with the cPanel updates to certs. I find I have to run it manually very often as their servers get overwhelmed. I run it during the middle of the day and it goes through fine.

Mele20 wrote:

Because it’s a free cPanel AutoSSL certificate and, like LetsEncrypt’s free certificates, only lasts 90 days.

Wow! I recall LetsEncrypt’s free certs at one time were SIX months. I wonder why they are only 90 days now?

Mele20 wrote:

Wow! I recall LetsEncrypt’s free certs at one time were SIX months. I wonder why they are only 90 days now?

I wonder if paying 4 times per year is less costly than paying for a full year.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    Reply To: OlderGeeks.com is not secure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: