News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • One-Drive file recovery

Posted on globalist Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function Other MS apps One-Drive file recovery

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Background part 1:  After months of recovering from MS’ disaster at the end of 2018 (office 2010 and Win 10 disasters), I “upgraded” to Office 365 and Outlook 365, and One-Drive.  I liked most of what I found.  In addition, my “main” pc (hp) was starting to lose its features, so I ordered a high-end hp (returned because it black-screened within two hours), replaced it with another hp (less obvious problems but returned), ordered another hp (which never came because they dropped the model), ordered a high-end (for me) Dell, which came and seems so far to work well (several days’ experience).  It has a 1 TB solid-state C: drive.

Background part 2:  My original OneDrive folder is almost full, so I activated a new user on Windows 10 and added a second OneDrive folder in which I intended to place all of my video files.  I was almost done and about to leave on a 2-week trip when I noted that a large folder with all of my Pinnacle work was still on the main user’s OneDrive.  Usually I would break this down into relatively small file transfers (from one OneDrive to the second), but since I would be leaving in a couple of hours, I tried transferring the very large folder.  It transferred a few MB and hung.  Since the amount transferred did not change with time, I just shut down the processes and the pc.  When I returned last night, I found that little had been transferred and that the files were not in either OneDrive folder.

Adding to the problem:  I wanted to check the recycle bins of the OneDrive folders to see if they were available there.  Although I have found them before, I am unable to find them now.  To compound the issue, the system came up with a memory-almost-gone message, so I clicked on an box that said it would get rid of unneeded files to generate more space.  Only after that did I realize that the message referred to the first OneDrive folder, not my C: drive (which is about half used).  I am afraid that the cleanup may have eliminated any of the untransferred files which may have ended up in the recycle bin.

Any suggestions on how I might retrieve the lost files?

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1963485 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I don’t have a clue. Any OneDrive experts out there?

• #1963495 Reply
        access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I’m hoping I’m understanding you here – when I lost some files, which got them deleted online as well, I just logged in to OneDrive online and found the bin on the left side – see picture. I was able to restore the files from there. Can you see this window?

• #1966205 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes, files that were already synced to cloud and then deleted should be recoverable from the cloud recycle bin for a while. Or the section of files “deleted from recycle bin” even.

Then if it’s OneDrive For Business (in at least Office 365 E*, A*, Business Essentials or Business Premium), your Office 365 tenant administrator might have access to one level further.

But…

I am afraid that the cleanup may have eliminated any of the untransferred files

Looking in the cloud isn’t likely to help if the data never got up there.

If the files aren’t in your local recycle bin either… shut the computer down immediately, boot a live-media (USB…) forensics toolset, and start looking for remnants of files not yet overwritten or scrubbed. (If the disk is encrypted, you’ll also need a way to open it.)

(This’ll easily become either expensive if you pay someone else to do it for you, or at the very least tedious and time consuming if you have the ability to do it yourself – so please think about cost vs benefit.)

I’ve used Ubuntu live/persistent with dislocker and ntfsundelete …

I’d recommend copying the disk to raw image first, anyway. Specifically raw image, entire surface, and not a “smart” copy because the smart copy most certainly will leave out the “empty” areas we’re hoping to recover files from.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: One-Drive file recovery

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.