News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• OneDrive disappearing desktop icon

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 OneDrive disappearing desktop icon

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Klaus
        AskWoody Plus

I have an ongoing issue with the OneDrive desktop icon repeatedly disappearing. I’m not talking about OneDrive in the system tray, or some manually created shortcut, but what appears to be a system shortcut similar to the “User’s Files”  icon.

I found an article on how to restore the icon with a registry merge which is simple enough (attached as a text file), but I’m curious why it keeps disappearing, and how to prevent it from happening. And of course there are several articles on how to reset OneDrive, but I don’t have a problem with OneDrive per se, and resetting it doesn’t solve the problem.

Obviously it’s not difficult to get to OneDrive even without the icon, but I don’t like things happening on their own. Any ideas on what might be going on?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Klaus.
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

This link might or might not be useful to you:

Add / Remove OneDrive Icon from Windows 10 Desktop

Add / Remove OneDrive Icon from Windows 10 Desktop

Klaus
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Moonshine,

thanks, and yes, that’s the same .reg file I attached to my post, which I use to restore the icon after it’s gone missing. But what I’m trying to find out is why the icon keeps disappearing, and how to prevent its MIA status to begin with.

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry my link wasn’t helpful.
        I don’t see a Reg file attached in you OP.

Klaus
          AskWoody Plus

Ah, no worries, I appreciate the reply regardless. In my OP, I said the .reg file was “attached as a text file”, and it is (Reset-OneDrive.txt).

b
            AskWoody MVP

It’s not a registry file, and the text doesn’t even refer to the registry.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Klaus
              AskWoody Plus

Oops, right you are, I attached the wrong file LOL. My bad, I’ll fix the OP if I can.

Klaus
        AskWoody Plus

I attached the wrong file to my OP, so I was going to attach the correct file (a .reg file saved as a .txt file), but apparently this is not permitted even as a text file (something about a potential wolf in sheep’s clothing?).

But making the OneDrive icon re-appear involves making a change to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Explorer-HideDesktopIcons-NewStartPanel], and setting the dword value to 00000000 for the entry representing the OneDrive icon.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: OneDrive disappearing desktop icon

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.