News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

This forum topic will keep an ongoing list of Mac apps that have been or are in the process of being updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Mac support. This first post will include the first round of Universal/Apple Silicon Mac apps available, links to news articles that mention the updates, as well as links to any AskWoody posts that have already been posted mentioning these updated apps.

My recommendation is for those who wish to post future Mac app Universal/Apple Silicon update notifications to reply to this forum topic so we can keep everything in one ongoing list. This will make it easier for people visiting AskWoody to keep up with the latest announcements of Mac app updates that offer Universal/Apple Silicon Mac support.

Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Mac Support:

Nathan Parker

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2311998 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
      • #2312170 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Amphetamine has been updated for Big Sur/Apple Silicon.

Nathan Parker

• #2312171 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

CrossOver 20 for Mac should run OK on Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon Macs, greater Apple Silicon Support being researched.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2312299 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

The CrossOver update should also apply to the open-source version of WINE once the code trickles down.

Nathan Parker

• #2312449 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Adobe Photoshop for Apple Silicon is Now Available in Beta

Adobe announced the release of Photoshop Beta for Apple Silicon this morning. The Photoshop Beta requires an ‌Apple Silicon‌ device and Creative Cloud desktop version 5.3.1.470 or later.

“We are excited to announce the first Beta release of Photoshop running natively on ‌Apple Silicon‌ hardware!

This early version of Photoshop for ‌Apple Silicon‌ offers many of the core Photoshop features that you’ve come to rely on for your day to day editing needs, and we’ll be adding more features in the weeks to come. Note that Beta software is not officially supported yet by Adobe, but we want to hear from you, and this is the place to let us know how it’s going”.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2312612 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Nisus Writer Pro 3.2 adds support for Apple Silicon.

Nathan Parker

• #2312620 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Apple Silicon version of Google Chrome now available for download. Currently they are separating Intel and Apple Silicon versions (no Universal app for both yet).

Nathan Parker

• #2312649 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 83 supports Mac OS Big Sur. Native-compilation is coming.

For the recently released Apple devices built with Apple Silicon CPUs, you can use Firefox 83 and future releases without any change. This release (83) will support emulation under Apple’s Rosetta 2 that ships with macOS Big Sur. We are working toward Firefox being natively-compiled for these CPUs in a future release.

• #2312655 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple Silicon version of Google Chrome now available for download. Currently they are separating Intel and Apple Silicon versions (no Universal app for both yet).

Update 1: Google has pulled the Apple Silicon-optimized version of Chrome due to “unexpected crashes.” Users that were able to install are advised to follow this workaround to resolve the issue:

Open System Preferences.
        Navigate to Security & Privacy.
        At the top, select Privacy.
        From the left, select Bluetooth.
        Below your approved applications, select add application (+).
        Select Google Chrome.
        Restart Chrome.

• #2312677 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

‘World of Warcraft’ with native support for Apple Silicon

Players of “World of Warcraft” will be able to continue gaming on the new M1-equipped Macs, with Blizzard’s latest patch adding native support for Apple Silicon.

In a post made to its community forums, Blizzard advised the 9.0.2 patch due this week for “World of Warcraft” will “run natively on ARM64 architecture, rather than emulation via Rosetta.”…

• #2312792 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can now download the new Pixelmator Pro update from the App Store, with an updated design for Big Sur and performance optimizations targeting M1 Macs.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Alex5723.
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2312871 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Here are more released:

HandBrake

coconutBattery

iStat Menus

Airmail
        Alfred
        BetterSnapTool
        BetterTouchTool
        Cinebench
        Cinema 4D
        Cinemagraph Pro
        Debit & Credit
        Default Folder X
        DEVONthink
        flickery
        FusionCast
        Geekbench
        Glimpses
        GraphicConverter
        HazeOver
        iFinance
        iStatistica
        Lingon X
        LockRattler
        Logoist
        MacFamilyTree
        Mach Desktop
        Magnet
        Mints
        News Explorer
        Nova
        OmniPresence
        Parcel
        PCalc
        Persecond
        ProFind
        Quicken
        ScreenFloat
        Screenium
        Serial
        SilentKnight
        SiriMote
        Smultron
        Sparkle
        Subler
        Tayasui Sketches
        Things
        Tower
        Transloader
        Transmit
        Twitter
        Vectorize
        ViennaRSS
        Viscosity
        xScope
        Yoink

AdBlock Plus
        Apple Remote Desktop

Another list here. I’m trying to merge some of its results under AW.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2312874 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Thank you very much for these lists that are likely to get longer as days, weeks and months go by.

I would hope, eventually, to see in them some of the items in my own list of things I’ll definitely need to either continue running on my “Intel” MacBook Pro when I move on from Mojave to Big Sur, or else will have to find them suitable replacements:

All the basic Linux/Unix/macOS tools available in the Terminal line command: vi, grep, cat, cp, mkdir, tee, awk, etc, etc. as well as such utilities as homebrew and macports.

Office 2016 for Macs

At least two of these: Vivaldi, Chrome, Waterfox, Firefox

ClipGrab  (for downloading YouTube videos)

Calibre (to continue reading from my library of epub and PDF books.)

Mail

Preview

Text

Malwarebytes

Webroot SecureAnywhere

Intel Fortran and C++ compilers (not very likely, but one can only hope.)

Any news, when and if they come out, on any of the above shall be mos appreciated.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2312882 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Office will be optimized for Apple Silicon (it will likely be a version different from 2016). Right now the current version still runs good on Rosetta 2.

Chrome is in the process of being released for Apple Silicon (see above), with Firefox forthcoming.

Most Terminal commands will already be Apple Silicon optimized on your new Mac. HomeBrew and MacPorts will work on bringing Apple Silicon compatibility.

Mail, Preview, and TextEdit are already Apple Silicon optimized on those Macs.

Malwarebytes will likely be before long.

Webroot may be eventually, although I’m having good experience with Intego and highly recommend it for those who plan to stay current with macOS.

All of your apps, with the exception of Webroot, should either be optimized for Big Sur on Intel Macs or likely optimized for Big Sur shortly (Webroot would likely take longer). We can start a new thread on Big Sur compatible apps as this one is reserved for Universal/Apple Silicon native apps.

Nathan Parker

• #2312883 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan. “We can start a new thread on Big Sur compatible apps as this one is reserved for Universal/Apple Silicon native apps.

Sorry, I did not realize this thread was dedicated to Apple Silicon (a.k.a. Apple M1?)  native application software. My fault.

Yes, it will be (I think) of considerable interest to people who currently have Intel Macs and, same as myself, do not intend to buy new ones any time soon, to have available also lists like these, dedicated to applications that already may run, or will run by the time they have Big Sur installed in their machines.

• #2312978 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Mac-optimized TensorFlow flexes new M1 and GPU muscles

A new Mac-optimized fork of machine learning environment TensorFlow posts some major performance increases. Although a big part of that is that until now the GPU wasn’t used for training tasks (!), M1-based devices see even further gains, suggesting a spate of popular workflow optimizations like this one are incoming.

Announced on both TensorFlow and Apple’s blogs, the improved Mac version shows in the best case more than a 10x improvement in speed for common training tasks….

• #2312994 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Comprehensive list of Games and Apps on Apple Silicon

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Alex5723.
      • #2313035 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

More details on Quicken’s Apple Silicon/Universal app.

CrossOver is working on Apple Silicon successfully using Rosetta 2 (still not Universal yet).

Someone tested Logos and Accordance (book apps) on Rosetta 2, and so far, so good. No ETA on them being Universal yet.

Nathan Parker

• #2313063 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can install iOS apps not officially available on the Mac App Store on to M1 devices

PSA: You can install iOS apps not officially available on the Mac App Store on to M1 devices if you have a (legitimate) .ipa file from iTunes, iMazing backup, etc….

• #2313221 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

AskWoody post on CrossOver.

AstroPad and LunaDisplay now supports Apple Silicon.

Update on Chrome performance on Apple Silicon.

Electron framework now supports Apple Silicon.

Confirmed macOS Big Sur is a Universal OS, not separate builds for Intel and Apple Silicon (so essentially same as Leopard was for PowerPC and Intel).

Nathan Parker

• #2313222 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Additional lists for Apple Silicon apps:

Go64 also now checks for Universal apps.

Nathan Parker

• #2313268 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

New site : Is Apple silicon ready?

• #2313864 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Transmit 5.7 is now Apple Silicon ready.

Also, to answer Oscar’s question further, we can start a list of apps that are updated to support Big Sur, but one quick way you can tell when some (but not all) apps have been updated to support Big Sur is when their icons change. Many apps, when issuing updates for Big Sur, are changing their icons to make the new icon design of Big Sur, in which icons resemble iOS-style icons with rounded corners. So as you see more app icons adopt those designs, you’ll know some of your apps are Big Sur ready.

Nathan Parker

• #2314443 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Thanks for the tip, but my question is about finding out about compatibilities and possible conflicts before migrating with my Intel Mac to Big Sur (and that’s why I’ve thought that starting a separate a thread about Intel Macs moving to Big Sur would be a good idea), in my case with the time for such migration depending on:

(1) The release of (at least) version 11.1.

(2) Knowing which of the Intel applications one uses need to be replaced, if any.

(3) How most others are faring who have transitioned already.

The answers to (1) and (2) being helpful to get ready for as a smooth an eventual transition as possible, whenever a reliable answer to (3) becomes available.

• #2314455 Reply
            Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

You can start a new thread for sure if you wish. In the meantime, here are a few answers to your questions:

1. We don’t have an ETA on 11.1 yet. I’ll probably upgrade to Big Sur on December 2, so I’ll be upgrading to whatever version is available then.
            2. I’ll need your list of apps (you can post those in a separate thread). What I do know is making sure you gradually update all of your apps to the latest versions is a good idea before upgrading to Big Sur. A couple of days before upgrading to Big Sur, I’ll probably check over most of my apps and do a quick Check for Updates. Two apps I do need to manually apply updates for. Generally when a new version of macOS is released, I periodically check my apps for updates between the release data of the new major version of macOS and the day I upgrade, in which all of my apps are generally updated for support for the major macOS upgrade.
            3. I’ll keep you posted on this from December 2 onward.

Nathan Parker

• #2314476 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Following your suggestion, attached is a text file with the list of what I believe is all the application software now installed in my Mac. I have marked with * those I use often, with ?  those I think I use now and then, but am not sure, and left unmarked those I have no idea of what they are doing there. Of the latter, maybe I need to have all of them, maybe some yes, some no. No idea. This list perhaps include applications many of us have, so it might be more useful than for just helping me.

All the so called “Utilities” that appear at the end of the list, are needed for me to use the Mac fully, as far as I know.

These are all 64 bit applications.

Attachments:
              • #2314480 Reply
                Nathan Parker
                AskWoody_MVP

I’ve gone through your list and marked all the apps I know are ready for Big Sur. For Apple apps, I recommend opening the App Store and run Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest versions of them. For non Apple apps, go ahead and run check for updates on those, and those apps will be upgraded to run on Big Sur. I’ve also mentioned apps you’ll either need a paid upgrade to, apps that have been replaced by other apps (mostly Apple apps), and apps I know aren’t optimized for Big Sur. For Webroot, I’d recommend trying a trial of Intego. It’s on a major Black Friday sale coming up, and it’s been solid on my Catalina Mac and fully tested with Big Sur.

Any apps I wasn’t sure about I didn’t mark ready, but those you can check for Big Sur ready updates.

Nathan Parker

Attachments:
      • #2313947 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Someone sent me this link to an app on the Mac App Store that can also check for Universal/Apple Silicon apps:

Uni Detector

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2314311 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

What a nice approach by Apple this is. Its so user friendly 🙂

Apple has gone to great lengths to make sure software works on its new processors. If you use Apple apps such as iMovie, Pages, Keynote, and more, they will work on Apple silicon. Most third-party software, from large corporations or from small developers, will work.

source
        https://www.macworld.com/article/3598017/apple-m1-macs-what-you-need-to-know-about-buying-new-apple-silicon-macs.html

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2315015 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, instead of starting a separate thread for applications that run on Intel Macs and are compatible with Big Sur, perhaps two lists, updated now and then, could be included one for Intel and the other for ARM Macs’ compatible applications and also those that need to be replaced with compatible ones, in the tread “KB2000014” dedicated to macOS. As well, also perhaps, as similar lists for the “i” devices. For my part, the two lists for the Macs would be quite enough.

• #2315029 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Five ways to check if apps are optimized for M1 Macs

Now that M1 Macs are available and developers are updating their apps for official M1 support, you might be trying to figure out which of your apps (as well as ones you might want) are optimized for Apple Silicon….

Five ways to check Universal macOS apps

From Finder in the Applications folder on your Mac right-click on an app > Get Info (or command + I shortcut) now look for Intel or Universal at the top under “General > Kind:”

Alternatively, head to  in the top left corner > About This Mac > System Report > Software > Applications (you’ll see a list of all your apps and if they’re Universal macOS apps)…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Alex5723.
      • #2315031 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Silicon (free)

Scan your macOS apps and display their supported CPU architecture. Especially made to detect apps which offer (or don’t!) native Apple Silicon support.

View on GitHub

• #2315149 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Mellel (word processor for Mac) has promised Universal version by end of year, current version runs well on Rosetta 2.

Nathan Parker

• #2315592 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Another link to find out how to tell which apps are optimized for Apple Silicon Macs.

Nathan Parker

• #2316409 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Moom (the app that adds a Windows Snap style window manager to Macs) is now Universal.

Nathan Parker

• #2316742 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Scapple is now Universal, trying to find out if Scrivener is as well.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 32 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.