News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

Viewing 67 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

This forum topic will keep an ongoing list of Mac apps that have been or are in the process of being updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Mac support. This first post will include the first round of Universal/Apple Silicon Mac apps available, links to news articles that mention the updates, as well as links to any AskWoody posts that have already been posted mentioning these updated apps.

My recommendation is for those who wish to post future Mac app Universal/Apple Silicon update notifications to reply to this forum topic so we can keep everything in one ongoing list. This will make it easier for people visiting AskWoody to keep up with the latest announcements of Mac app updates that offer Universal/Apple Silicon Mac support.

Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Mac Support:

Nathan Parker

6 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Amphetamine has been updated for Big Sur/Apple Silicon.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

CrossOver 20 for Mac should run OK on Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon Macs, greater Apple Silicon Support being researched.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

The CrossOver update should also apply to the open-source version of WINE once the code trickles down.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Adobe Photoshop for Apple Silicon is Now Available in Beta

Adobe announced the release of Photoshop Beta for Apple Silicon this morning. The Photoshop Beta requires an ‌Apple Silicon‌ device and Creative Cloud desktop version 5.3.1.470 or later.

“We are excited to announce the first Beta release of Photoshop running natively on ‌Apple Silicon‌ hardware!

This early version of Photoshop for ‌Apple Silicon‌ offers many of the core Photoshop features that you’ve come to rely on for your day to day editing needs, and we’ll be adding more features in the weeks to come. Note that Beta software is not officially supported yet by Adobe, but we want to hear from you, and this is the place to let us know how it’s going”.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Nisus Writer Pro 3.2 adds support for Apple Silicon.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Apple Silicon version of Google Chrome now available for download. Currently they are separating Intel and Apple Silicon versions (no Universal app for both yet).

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 83 supports Mac OS Big Sur. Native-compilation is coming.

For the recently released Apple devices built with Apple Silicon CPUs, you can use Firefox 83 and future releases without any change. This release (83) will support emulation under Apple’s Rosetta 2 that ships with macOS Big Sur. We are working toward Firefox being natively-compiled for these CPUs in a future release.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple Silicon version of Google Chrome now available for download. Currently they are separating Intel and Apple Silicon versions (no Universal app for both yet).

Update 1: Google has pulled the Apple Silicon-optimized version of Chrome due to “unexpected crashes.” Users that were able to install are advised to follow this workaround to resolve the issue:

Open System Preferences.
        Navigate to Security & Privacy.
        At the top, select Privacy.
        From the left, select Bluetooth.
        Below your approved applications, select add application (+).
        Select Google Chrome.
        Restart Chrome.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

‘World of Warcraft’ with native support for Apple Silicon

Players of “World of Warcraft” will be able to continue gaming on the new M1-equipped Macs, with Blizzard’s latest patch adding native support for Apple Silicon.

In a post made to its community forums, Blizzard advised the 9.0.2 patch due this week for “World of Warcraft” will “run natively on ARM64 architecture, rather than emulation via Rosetta.”…

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can now download the new Pixelmator Pro update from the App Store, with an updated design for Big Sur and performance optimizations targeting M1 Macs.

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Here are more released:

HandBrake

coconutBattery

iStat Menus

Airmail
        Alfred
        BetterSnapTool
        BetterTouchTool
        Cinebench
        Cinema 4D
        Cinemagraph Pro
        Debit & Credit
        Default Folder X
        DEVONthink
        flickery
        FusionCast
        Geekbench
        Glimpses
        GraphicConverter
        HazeOver
        iFinance
        iStatistica
        Lingon X
        LockRattler
        Logoist
        MacFamilyTree
        Mach Desktop
        Magnet
        Mints
        News Explorer
        Nova
        OmniPresence
        Parcel
        PCalc
        Persecond
        ProFind
        Quicken
        ScreenFloat
        Screenium
        Serial
        SilentKnight
        SiriMote
        Smultron
        Sparkle
        Subler
        Tayasui Sketches
        Things
        Tower
        Transloader
        Transmit
        Twitter
        Vectorize
        ViennaRSS
        Viscosity
        xScope
        Yoink

AdBlock Plus
        Apple Remote Desktop

Another list here. I’m trying to merge some of its results under AW.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Thank you very much for these lists that are likely to get longer as days, weeks and months go by.

I would hope, eventually, to see in them some of the items in my own list of things I’ll definitely need to either continue running on my “Intel” MacBook Pro when I move on from Mojave to Big Sur, or else will have to find them suitable replacements:

All the basic Linux/Unix/macOS tools available in the Terminal line command: vi, grep, cat, cp, mkdir, tee, awk, etc, etc. as well as such utilities as homebrew and macports.

Office 2016 for Macs

At least two of these: Vivaldi, Chrome, Waterfox, Firefox

ClipGrab  (for downloading YouTube videos)

Calibre (to continue reading from my library of epub and PDF books.)

Mail

Preview

Text

Malwarebytes

Webroot SecureAnywhere

Intel Fortran and C++ compilers (not very likely, but one can only hope.)

Any news, when and if they come out, on any of the above shall be mos appreciated.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Office will be optimized for Apple Silicon (it will likely be a version different from 2016). Right now the current version still runs good on Rosetta 2.

Chrome is in the process of being released for Apple Silicon (see above), with Firefox forthcoming.

Most Terminal commands will already be Apple Silicon optimized on your new Mac. HomeBrew and MacPorts will work on bringing Apple Silicon compatibility.

Mail, Preview, and TextEdit are already Apple Silicon optimized on those Macs.

Malwarebytes will likely be before long.

Webroot may be eventually, although I’m having good experience with Intego and highly recommend it for those who plan to stay current with macOS.

All of your apps, with the exception of Webroot, should either be optimized for Big Sur on Intel Macs or likely optimized for Big Sur shortly (Webroot would likely take longer). We can start a new thread on Big Sur compatible apps as this one is reserved for Universal/Apple Silicon native apps.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan. “We can start a new thread on Big Sur compatible apps as this one is reserved for Universal/Apple Silicon native apps.

Sorry, I did not realize this thread was dedicated to Apple Silicon (a.k.a. Apple M1?)  native application software. My fault.

Yes, it will be (I think) of considerable interest to people who currently have Intel Macs and, same as myself, do not intend to buy new ones any time soon, to have available also lists like these, dedicated to applications that already may run, or will run by the time they have Big Sur installed in their machines.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Mac-optimized TensorFlow flexes new M1 and GPU muscles

A new Mac-optimized fork of machine learning environment TensorFlow posts some major performance increases. Although a big part of that is that until now the GPU wasn’t used for training tasks (!), M1-based devices see even further gains, suggesting a spate of popular workflow optimizations like this one are incoming.

Announced on both TensorFlow and Apple’s blogs, the improved Mac version shows in the best case more than a 10x improvement in speed for common training tasks….

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

More details on Quicken’s Apple Silicon/Universal app.

CrossOver is working on Apple Silicon successfully using Rosetta 2 (still not Universal yet).

Someone tested Logos and Accordance (book apps) on Rosetta 2, and so far, so good. No ETA on them being Universal yet.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can install iOS apps not officially available on the Mac App Store on to M1 devices

PSA: You can install iOS apps not officially available on the Mac App Store on to M1 devices if you have a (legitimate) .ipa file from iTunes, iMazing backup, etc….

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

AskWoody post on CrossOver.

AstroPad and LunaDisplay now supports Apple Silicon.

Update on Chrome performance on Apple Silicon.

Electron framework now supports Apple Silicon.

Confirmed macOS Big Sur is a Universal OS, not separate builds for Intel and Apple Silicon (so essentially same as Leopard was for PowerPC and Intel).

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Additional lists for Apple Silicon apps:

Go64 also now checks for Universal apps.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Transmit 5.7 is now Apple Silicon ready.

Also, to answer Oscar’s question further, we can start a list of apps that are updated to support Big Sur, but one quick way you can tell when some (but not all) apps have been updated to support Big Sur is when their icons change. Many apps, when issuing updates for Big Sur, are changing their icons to make the new icon design of Big Sur, in which icons resemble iOS-style icons with rounded corners. So as you see more app icons adopt those designs, you’ll know some of your apps are Big Sur ready.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Thanks for the tip, but my question is about finding out about compatibilities and possible conflicts before migrating with my Intel Mac to Big Sur (and that’s why I’ve thought that starting a separate a thread about Intel Macs moving to Big Sur would be a good idea), in my case with the time for such migration depending on:

(1) The release of (at least) version 11.1.

(2) Knowing which of the Intel applications one uses need to be replaced, if any.

(3) How most others are faring who have transitioned already.

The answers to (1) and (2) being helpful to get ready for as a smooth an eventual transition as possible, whenever a reliable answer to (3) becomes available.

Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

You can start a new thread for sure if you wish. In the meantime, here are a few answers to your questions:

1. We don’t have an ETA on 11.1 yet. I’ll probably upgrade to Big Sur on December 2, so I’ll be upgrading to whatever version is available then.
            2. I’ll need your list of apps (you can post those in a separate thread). What I do know is making sure you gradually update all of your apps to the latest versions is a good idea before upgrading to Big Sur. A couple of days before upgrading to Big Sur, I’ll probably check over most of my apps and do a quick Check for Updates. Two apps I do need to manually apply updates for. Generally when a new version of macOS is released, I periodically check my apps for updates between the release data of the new major version of macOS and the day I upgrade, in which all of my apps are generally updated for support for the major macOS upgrade.
            3. I’ll keep you posted on this from December 2 onward.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Following your suggestion, attached is a text file with the list of what I believe is all the application software now installed in my Mac. I have marked with * those I use often, with ?  those I think I use now and then, but am not sure, and left unmarked those I have no idea of what they are doing there. Of the latter, maybe I need to have all of them, maybe some yes, some no. No idea. This list perhaps include applications many of us have, so it might be more useful than for just helping me.

All the so called “Utilities” that appear at the end of the list, are needed for me to use the Mac fully, as far as I know.

These are all 64 bit applications.

Attachments:
                Nathan Parker
                AskWoody_MVP

I’ve gone through your list and marked all the apps I know are ready for Big Sur. For Apple apps, I recommend opening the App Store and run Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest versions of them. For non Apple apps, go ahead and run check for updates on those, and those apps will be upgraded to run on Big Sur. I’ve also mentioned apps you’ll either need a paid upgrade to, apps that have been replaced by other apps (mostly Apple apps), and apps I know aren’t optimized for Big Sur. For Webroot, I’d recommend trying a trial of Intego. It’s on a major Black Friday sale coming up, and it’s been solid on my Catalina Mac and fully tested with Big Sur.

Any apps I wasn’t sure about I didn’t mark ready, but those you can check for Big Sur ready updates.

Nathan Parker

Attachments:
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Someone sent me this link to an app on the Mac App Store that can also check for Universal/Apple Silicon apps:

Uni Detector

Nathan Parker

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

What a nice approach by Apple this is. Its so user friendly 🙂

Apple has gone to great lengths to make sure software works on its new processors. If you use Apple apps such as iMovie, Pages, Keynote, and more, they will work on Apple silicon. Most third-party software, from large corporations or from small developers, will work.

source
        https://www.macworld.com/article/3598017/apple-m1-macs-what-you-need-to-know-about-buying-new-apple-silicon-macs.html

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, instead of starting a separate thread for applications that run on Intel Macs and are compatible with Big Sur, perhaps two lists, updated now and then, could be included one for Intel and the other for ARM Macs’ compatible applications and also those that need to be replaced with compatible ones, in the tread “KB2000014” dedicated to macOS. As well, also perhaps, as similar lists for the “i” devices. For my part, the two lists for the Macs would be quite enough.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Five ways to check if apps are optimized for M1 Macs

Now that M1 Macs are available and developers are updating their apps for official M1 support, you might be trying to figure out which of your apps (as well as ones you might want) are optimized for Apple Silicon….

Five ways to check Universal macOS apps

From Finder in the Applications folder on your Mac right-click on an app > Get Info (or command + I shortcut) now look for Intel or Universal at the top under “General > Kind:”

Alternatively, head to  in the top left corner > About This Mac > System Report > Software > Applications (you’ll see a list of all your apps and if they’re Universal macOS apps)…

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Silicon (free)

Scan your macOS apps and display their supported CPU architecture. Especially made to detect apps which offer (or don’t!) native Apple Silicon support.

View on GitHub

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Mellel (word processor for Mac) has promised Universal version by end of year, current version runs well on Rosetta 2.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Moom (the app that adds a Windows Snap style window manager to Macs) is now Universal.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Scapple is now Universal, trying to find out if Scrivener is as well.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Docker is getting Apple Silicon support.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Adobe Lightroom native Apple M1 (and Win Arm app)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

fre ac is now available for Apple Silicon Macs

Features (click an entry to see details)

Converter for MP3, M4A/AAC, FLAC, WMA, Opus, Ogg Vorbis, WAV and other formats
        Integrated CD ripper with CDDB/GNUdb title database support
        Portable application, install on a USB stick and take it with you
        Multi-core optimized encoders to speed up conversions on modern PCs
        Full Unicode support for tags and file names
        Easy to learn and use, still offers expert options when you need them
        Available for all major operating systems
        Multilingual user interface available in 43 languages
        Completely free and open source without a catch

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft 365 apps are being updated for Apple’s new ARM-powered Macs. These core apps include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook.

We are excited to announce that starting today we are releasing new versions of many of our Microsoft 365 for Mac apps that run natively on Macs with M1. This means that now our core flagship Office apps—Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote—will run faster and take full advantage of the performance improvements on new Macs, making you even more productive on the latest MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini. The new Office apps are Universal, so they will continue to run great on Macs with Intel processors. The apps are not only speedy, but they also look fantastic as they have been redesigned to match the new look of macOS Big Sur. Here is a peek at Outlook on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro.

If you have automatic updates turned on, you will start to receive these updates today. Otherwise, you can go to the Mac App Store and click the Updates tab, or with Microsoft AutoUpdate, you can go to your Office app’s Help menu and choose Check for Updates. Plus, find more commonly asked questions on our support page…

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 84 :

Native support for macOS devices built with Apple Silicon CPUs brings dramatic performance improvements over the non-native build that was shipped in Firefox 83: Firefox launches over 2.5 times faster and web apps are now twice as responsive (per the SpeedoMeter 2.0 test). If you are on a new Apple device, follow these steps to upgrade to the latest Firefox.

WebRender rolls out to MacOS Big Sur, Windows devices with Intel Gen 6 GPUs, and Intel laptops running Windows 7 and 8. Additionally we’ll ship an accelerated rendering pipeline for Linux/GNOME/X11 users for the first time, ever!

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Eve (HomeKit management) now compatible with Apple Silicon Macs.

..A just-released version 5 makes it an even more robust application by adding Mac support for the Eve app.

In this new version, Apple Silicon Macs now have an optimized version of the Eve app in order to better manage your smart home environment from your desktop or laptop. The app is now better optimized for iOS 14 and Apple’s latest iPhones…

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Doesn’t work on Intel Macs since it’s the iOS app running on Macs. Too bad since I’d enjoy it.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Apple has published a list of featured Universal apps.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft Edge now offers beta version that supports Apple Silicon Macs (not Universal, its own build just like Chrome).

Nathan Parker

anonymous

Google Chrome is, in fact, Universal when you get the “Apple chip” version.

I’m guessing, they’re delaying the Universal rollout to Intel-based Macs to the point where the x86_64 target is optimised enough so that there are no noticeable performance compromises.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Zoom to roll out native support for Apple Silicon Macs on December 21

Zoom has published the release notes for an update it says is scheduled to be released to users tomorrow, December 21. The highlight for Mac users is that the update will bring support for Apple Silicon Macs, including native performance on the M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini.

The release notes fro the update explain that Zoom will also release a separate installer for installation of the video conferencing app on Apple Silicon Macs:

Support for Apple Silicon processors – Zoom desktop client will better support computers with ARM CPUs. A separate installer is available for download in the Zoom Download Center.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Nisus Thesaurus is now Universal.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Rush and Audition join Premiere Pro as beta Apple Silicon apps.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Applications that survived Mac OS transitions : 68K > PowerPC > Intel > Apple Silicon

Mac developers are currently in the midst of a major hardware architecture transition. But for some app makers, this is the third time that they have done this.

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Yep, some of those apps I use today.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

VLC media player for macOS support for M1 Macs.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/3.0.12.html

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Add ScreenFlow to the list. Better support for Big Sur as well.

We wanted to let you know that the newest release of ScreenFlow, version 9.0.7, now includes support for Apple’s new Big Sur OS as well as any of their new hardware equipped with the new Apple Silicon M1 chip.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, How about QuickTime? Does a compatible universal version that runs also in Intel Macs comes with BigSur and, when going to install BigSur, does one have to delete first the old pre-BigSur version (Mojave’s in my case) of QuickTime already in the Mac?

I do use QickTime often in my Intel Mac, to watch some movies and the videos of a lot of concerts that I have saved, mostly in mp4 format.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by OscarCP.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

QuickTime Player (version 10 that debuted in Snow Leopard) is built into macOS, so the version on Big Sur is Universal.

QuickTime 7 (the older version) has been long not supported.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

How about QuickTime?

Why stick to the limited QuickTime when there are IINA player, VLC.. that support all video/audio file formats ?

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Alex: Thanks for your concern.

I use QuickTime because it works just fine for me and I do not need the extra features offered, for example, by the IINA player. But if I ever need to use a file in a different format that QuickTime does not support, I’ll look into optional applications such as the ones you mention.

Quick time, so far, has supported all the formats of files I have had need to process with it.

This article lists all the formats QuickTime supports:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1bjbF1zkueq7uJZ9MQyoqBZcU5yDEqYgnzf1isXRBTLc&hl=en&authkey=CJbBkPcG

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I use a mix of both. When I need to play stuff quickly, I use QuickTime (no pun intended). When QuickTime can’t open a file or I need more power, I turn to VLC.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Nvidia GeForce Now client adds Apple Silicon support

Nvidia’s GeForce Now has been updated to work with Apple Silicon Macs, allowing gamers on both Intel and M1-based models to use the game-streaming service.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Edge optimized for M1

Attachments:
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Newton email app adds support for M1 Macs

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Popular Mac app ‘Call Recorder for Skype’ won’t be updated to M1

If you’ve ever needed to record a podcast with other people, you probably know Call Recorder for Skype — which, as the name suggests, is a popular Mac app that lets users record conferences on Skype. Unfortunately, the app is being discontinued and will no longer be updated, mainly affecting users with M1 Macs.

Call Recorder for Skype is not compatible with Apple’s M1 Macs. Call Recorder for Skype is only compatible with Intel Macs running macOS 10.12 or newer. Call Recorder for Skype will not be updated for compatibility with M1 Macs…

A good alternative would be Piezo from Rogue Amoeba

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Is this one the one consumers used or business users used? Business users are being migrated from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

I think both business and consumers used the app.

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

NASA now is only using “Teams.” At least the Center I work with switched completely to “Teams” last year, so most like this is Agency-wide. Maybe US Government wide?

Nathan Parker
              AskWoody_MVP

Same here. We’ve moved to Teams away from Skype for Business, although we still have some people on Slack we need to pivot over to Teams.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

I thought my copy was only for Skype for Business, but I guess there was a consumer version as well.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Homebrew now officially supports Apple Silicon installations

Homebrew installs the stuff you need that Apple (or your Linux system) didn’t.
        Homebrew installs packages to their own directory and then symlinks their files into /usr/local…

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

I have an Intel Mac. If I were to update Homebrew, something which I have used several times already and definitely shall have to use now and then, in the not too distant future, would I get a “universal” version and, if I do, will this new version still work in my Intel Mac while it is still running Mojave?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

State of Apple Silicon – half of the most popular Mac apps still need Rosetta

Two months since the first Apple Silicon Macs shipped — and seven since the Developer Transition Kit — very many of the most popular Mac apps have yet to fully adopt the new technology.

…what’s bad is that every Mac developer is insisting that their apps can run on the new machines — and then a large proportion of them cough a little before admitting that they don’t mean natively. An Apple Silicon M1 Mac bought today will run all of your current, existing macOS Big Sur software out of the box and that’s as far as some developers hope you’ll ask.

What you want, and what the best Mac developers have already raced to do, is get native Apple Silicon support. The difference is all the difference. With native support, the apps get all of the power of the new processor.

Without native support, they’re run in Rosetta 2 emulation…

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

This also happened during the PowerPC to Intel transition. It took a bit to get all apps Universal, and “Rosetta 1” wasn’t even that good at the time. I know a couple of app developers that are waiting for more Apple Silicon Macs to go mainstream before making their apps Universal. It’ll take some time, but by the time the transition is complete, we’ll see far more Universal apps in store.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Not entirely clear on this point: What happens, exactly, when application software now in use in Intel Macs becomes also “M1 native” (i.e. no Rosetta is needed), but one still has to use it in one’s Intel Mac? How does this actually work — that is, assuming it does?

What is going on now? Do  the new versions have code in them to “sense” what kind of CPU, etc. is in use and, depending on that and to do the same things, invoke different sets of subroutines with different system calls in them, one set of subroutines written so they can talk, via the kernel, with Intel’s chipsets, the other, with M1’s? Or do these applications simply no longer run on Intel Macs? Or is this a mixed-bag, where some developers of software so far intended to run on Intel Macs, do not adapt their software to run also on M1 Macs, but actually and in already known cases, make it so it only runs on M1 Macs, leaving us users of Intel Macs high and dry?

Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

The app is called a “Universal” app since it can run on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs with a single binary (fat binary). The app contains both Intel and Apple Silicon code and chooses which code to execute depending on the processor.

macOS Big Sur (and all future macOS releases that support Intel Macs) are also Universal for the entire OS.

The same transition occurred from PowerPC to Intel, plus a similar transition occurred from 32 Bit to 64 Bit.

Eventually future apps will become “Apple Silicon Only” just as they became “Intel Only” when PowerPC support was dropped, but that’s a while down the road.

Even then, I’ll still have plenty of uses for my Intel Macs, just as I’ve repurposed my PowerPC Mac.

Nathan Parker

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan: “Even then, I’ll still have plenty of uses for my Intel Macs, just as I’ve repurposed my PowerPC Mac.

I would like to learn a bit about this, if you don’t mind telling me, preferably with an example, of what you are doing with your PowerPC Mac. It should be useful to know that for whenever there are few or no applications still up-to-date and available for my Intel Mac, because most, including those I use today, are then made only for M1 Macs.

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Quite a bit on it, actually.

• It runs a modern variant of Firefox, so I can browse the web if need be.
        • Mail, Entourage (the predecessor to Outlook) and even the super-old Eudora still connects to my primary email account over IMAP.
        • I have an older version of Office running on it, but it can still open most Office files since it’s docx compatible.
        • I have an older version of iWork running on it, so I can still do some stuff with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers
        • I have a variant of OpenOffice (NeoOffice) that’s a backup from Office in case I need it.
        • One of my school research apps still has an older version that allows me to run some school reference works on it.
        • It’s running an older version of iLife and Final Cut Express and Logic Express if I needed to do some decent media work.
        • Terminal still works.
        • It’s running a variant of ClamAV that still receives definition updates, plus I still have an outbound firewall on it. I also keep it on its own VLAN for extra security.

My old High Sierra Mac is also still going and able to run modern web browsers, a version of iLife, iWork, Office, and enough apps I’d use. I also use it for running VMs on VirtualBox, running legacy Apple apps that Apple no longer supports (in case I need them for anything), and I’ve thrown macOS Server on there for playing around.

So there’s no reason to toss out your Intel Mac even when it’s no longer supported. You can still repurpose it and use it until it bites the dust.

Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Nathan Parker

Viewing 67 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Ongoing List of Mac Apps Updated for Universal/Apple Silicon Support

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.