News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• OOMA vs MagicJack

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

I used MagicJack for years but suddenly I have been having a lot of Speaker Breakup.

I changed chords and everything else except the MagicJack.  I have 2 phones, same number,

plugged in. I have tried having my son call with 1 phone disconnected. Also, with the computer off.  Still not clear.

I have been looking into OOMA.  Is this a better choice for clear phone calls?

One phone is AT&T Cordless and the other is a Cap-Tel caption phone.

ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

<h3>I have AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router and Windows 7 Professional 64bit.</h3>
        My wife’s computer is connected WI-FI.  We are setup at 2.4ghz. 5ghz is available.

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well I usually use Linphone (or previously CSipSimple) on Android and have had no issues with call quality with the local VoIP provider… of course they’re way over on this side of the pond.

For a VoIP Analog Telephony Adapter and actual old phones, I’ve been hearing good things about a Grandstream HandyTone 801/802 (difference being number of analog phone connectors). Haven’t tried one myself. Might though, as I understand they now do pulse since a couple of firmware versions ago… where did I put the old rotary Ericsson again…

anonymous

Do both phones exhibit distorted audio?

There may be some router settings to review, look like you have done some or most of the troubleshooting steps listed here.

If no other advisement works contacting customer service might, it is possible for the magicJack to have developed an internal fault.

ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

MagicJack support is poor. I have talked to them on this issue. They suggested I use another

power device from a cellular phone.  Not to bright if I wanted to charge the phone. I don’t happen to have one anyway.

This weekend we received 2 calls which usually have a problem. The computer was off and

the connection was good on both. One of the calls we receive every Sunday and it has a LOT

of problems.  This Sunday it was good.  I can’t figure why the computer and phones would interfere with each other.  Could it be something with a router setting?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Turn the computer on mid call and see of the problem returns.

cheers, Paul

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been using Ooma for 10 years without a problem. Super reliable here!

The Ooma box connects directly to an Ethernet LAN port on your router, and performance depends on your ISP bandwidth and reliability. I have a cordless phone base station plugged into the analog phone jack.

I was using it originally with 5Mbps ISP broadband service, so you don’t really need much bandwidth for voice over IP, compared to streaming video for example.

My ISP uses broadband cable.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by JohnW.
          JohnW
          AskWoody Plus

I forgot to add that Ooma now has a nifty smartphone app that lets you make calls using your Ooma number, and access your Ooma voicemail on the go! Handy!

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: OOMA vs MagicJack

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.