News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Open all external website-links in a new tab/window

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Open all external website-links in a new tab/window

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        TJ
        AskWoody Plus

Dear mods,
        When I(the user) click(s) on a link provided in an askwoody post, it leaves askwoody and loads the ‘other’ website in the same tab/window.
        I would prefer to have links for external websites open in a new tab/window.

Let me explain:
        When I want to find out more about certain updates f.i. and have several tabs open to easily compare the different views and experiences, it would be much easier to also have askwoody still loaded in a tab – instead of having to go back and forth between two or more websites.

What is your opinion? (Or is it on purpose to reduce traffic load?)

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by TJ. Reason: typo
      • #2311426 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Open all external website-links in a new tab/window

When a poster inserts a link (see “chain” in menubar)

Screen-Shot-2020-11-12-at-8.30.56-AM

The poster has a choice (check box) to “Open link in a new tab.” It is not a function of the website, but the poster’s option.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-12-at-8.30.23-AM

Attachments:
      • #2311425 Reply
        anonymous

Many are offended by opening links in new tabs/windows. I right-click the link and choose open in new tab.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2311498 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

I know, but why not make it default?

… because not everyone has the same preferences, but we do have the ability to modify how we access links (i.e. open in new tab/window, or open, which are available as add-ons in most browsers where they are not native behavior)
        🙂

• #2311611 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I prefer middle click (push the scroll wheel down). Much better than right click, move mouse, left click.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Open all external website-links in a new tab/window

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.