News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • OpenSSH maintenance on Windows 10

Posted on AtraEquus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update OpenSSH maintenance on Windows 10

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        AtraEquus
        AskWoody Plus

Currently, I have installed the OpenSSH client, via Settings -> Apps -> Optional Features on my rig running Win10 1909.  I understand that this version is a “beta” (reported by ssh -V as “OpenSSH_for_Windows_7.7p1, LibreSSL 2.6.5”; I think the p here denotes portable but I may be misunderstanding that part).

My question comes from being curious checking the OpenSSH website, because it HAS been awhile since I last visited the whole idea of SSH in general, and OpenSSH in particular.  There, I read that the latest release of the software was on 2020 Valentine’s Day, version 8.2.  Has anyone heard either about the update cadence that Microsoft will keep for updating the Windows version of OpenSSH, or if they have in place or are developing a way for the end user to update the OpenSSH on Windows software?

I beg for pardon for asking two questions in the same post, but the second question is related to the first.  I have the Ubuntu Bash shell installed, and I noticed that when it is running, the ssh version command ssh -V gives the string “OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017”.  Now, I have been fairly regular in using the sudo-led commands “apt-get update“, “apt-get upgrade“, and “apt autoclean” commands, but, seeing as if it looks like Ubuntu is using a slightly older, and totally separate version of OpenSSH from the one installed under Windows, is it REALLY necessary to install a frozen-in-time version of OpenSSH on Windows, if it is NOT used to support the Windows Subsystem for Linux?  I imagine that version 8.2 of OpenSSH has many bugfixes over the 7.7 version, and I now get…uncomfortable…when I KNOW I have older software for common, but hidden and hands-off, net functions.

• #2152854 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Reading the release notes since 7.7 there doesn’t seem to be any security fixes that you need. The changes are mitigations for specialized issues, not major flaws.

The Windows version is portable. The latest release is 8.1.0.0 – assuming that is the correct web page.

I would use the Ubuntu Package Manager to update OpenSSL.

cheers, Paul

• #2154011 Reply
          AtraEquus
          AskWoody Plus

I understand I can update the Ubuntu files, but that doesn’t answer the question if I need the Windows “optional feature” files.  I’m guessing the two operating systems are still fully separated, since the OpenSSH files shown for Ubuntu’s Bash shell is one point version older than the Windows version.  If there is a reason the Ubuntu files should remain “behind” the Windows files, I’ve not yet discovered why.  And if the Windows version is NOT supporting WSL, I should be able to get by without the Windows files, as the Ubuntu files are doing all the work.  Or am I missing something in how WSL (I do not have WSL2, of course) works on Windows?

• #2162121 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The version difference is normal for software on different platforms – often different teams working on each platform.

You shouldn’t need the Windows files, WSL should do it for you.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: OpenSSH maintenance on Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.