News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Optical Drive disappeared after using it to update Office 2003

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: How to troubleshoot hardware problems Optical Drive disappeared after using it to update Office 2003

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eles 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

eles
      AskWoody Lounger

I need help with a problem that started around last April.  I’ve been actively working on it since then.

The ODD IMMEDIATELY disappeared from Device Manager AND the BIOS after adding a feature to Office 2003 using the CD.  No error codes.

On a Microsoft site, I read this could happen when updating a Microsoft product using the ODD but I’m unable to find that reference any more.

The drive spins up when I insert a disc, but no data.  I cleaned the SATA contacts – no help.  A known good drive acts the same.  This is a Toshiba Satellite P770 x64 Win 7 Home Premium SP1.  It’s updated except for some optional updates.

I manually ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk and I manually applied kb314060 – nothing useful.

Is anyone aware of any update kbs that may have caused this?

I occasionally got a popup asking ‘Would you like TOSHIBA power saving technology to turn on the Optical Drive?’  I click Yes.  Nothing happens.

One time, a single, fleeting message in the notification area that said something like ‘Toshiba Power Saver Optical Drive is Turned Off’.  I checked all the settings and they appeared to be set correctly.  => Power Options – Select a power plan – Balanced – Change plan settings – Change advanced power settings – Toshiba Power Saver Settings V8.9.7.64 – Optical Drive power management –  On battery: On  and  Plugged in: On.

Now, an icon is permanently in the notification area that says ‘Optical Drive Power: OFF’

I did find an associated service: TODDSrv.exe – Toshiba Optical Disc Drive.  Known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7/XP are 114,688 bytes (71% of all occurrences), 129,632 bytes, 128,344 bytes or 128,416 bytes. ( From http://www.file.net/process/toddsrv.exe) The version on my computer was 136 KB – not a match – so I removed it.  No help.  I put it in a safe place in case I want to put it back in.

At one point, after applying DriverPackSolutions, The ODD reappeared for a short time and then disappeared again.

The Hardware and Sound Troubleshooter found nothing when run in configuration mode.

I performed a Repair Upgrade – no help.

I ran 2 Fixits – 1) Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media and 2) Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows.  The results mostly talked about filters in the registry that I already dealt with per kb314060.  Nothing usable.

From DevManView, the CD/DVD Device ID is listed as:
      IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_CDDDVDW_TS_L633F____________TF01___\4&3b404081&0&0.1.0

DevManView sees the device and MS doesn’t.  Microsoft appears to have admitted to possibly having had a hand in causing the problem.

This leads me to believe that this is a software problem caused by Microsoft.

I’m unable to find any useful information from MS.  It seems that every link I follow a link to an MS page – ESPECIALLY LINKS TO KBs and fixes, it takes me to the SAME worthless support page that only has the virtual agent that expects you to type in your question and then gives you a worthless, generic answer that is not an answer.

• #243447 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

I can see that you have posted this on BleepingComputer’s forum, but not resolved your issue.
      It is helpful to include such links, to save people from wasting their time, giving you information that has already not solved your issue. 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #243797 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

I need help with a problem that started around last April. I’ve been actively working on it since then. The ODD IMMEDIATELY disappeared from Device Manager AND the BIOS

… wait, what was that part again?

If it’s missing from BIOS, as in used to be listed as a potentially bootable device in the pre-boot menus but isn’t any more, that’s … well I suppose it could still be a firmware issue but that’s not very likely, hardware is more probable.

Can’t properly expect a drive to work properly when booted up if it used to be there in BIOS and now no longer is. (On the other hand, if it never was listed in BIOS that’d be different, but “disappearing” means something changed so…)

I’d still prefer to do a full power down (pull the battery and wait for capacitors to drain… or use manufacturer’s recommended procedure) and reset (possibly to factory defaults) on everything and then boot from a separate media – say, a Linux live-USB – to do a hardware inventory, just to check.

Since you mentioned cleaning the SATA contacts and a known-good drive exhibiting the same behaviour… I’d think it likely that the problem be found somewhere “upstream” from that connector then.

• #243854 Reply

eles
      AskWoody Lounger

@mn- Thank you

The ODD was listed in the BIOS as a bootable device.

The reference now is ‘Not Present’.
      The cdrom driver is the generic MS driver that came with W 7.

Addressing firmware and booting from Linux live are not in my experience.
      I would appreciate any info that will help me do either of those.
      Can you recommend a distro?

I would like to learn how to troubleshoot the SATA controller.

Because of the reference on the MS site, and MS’s history of buggy updates, my focus has been on possible MS involvement.  I also want to troubleshoot the SATA controller and look at a possible involvement by Toshiba regarding turning off the power to the ODD even though the ODD Power management settings indicate it is on.  I’m considering uninstalling the Toshiba bloatware.

I have since found that DevManView pulled the info out of the registry.

I’ve done the off, unplug, remove battery and drain routine a number of times.

I now have a persistent icon in the notification area that says ‘Optical Drive Power: OFF’

Can you tell me how I can troubleshoot the SATA controller?

Thanx

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Optical Drive disappeared after using it to update Office 2003

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.