News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Optional Updates and Previews

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I have Windows 10 Home (version 1909).  I keep seeing everyone talking about optional updates and previews and I have not seen anything pertaining to optional updates or previews in the update section of settings.  When I click my updates to resume, they all download and install.  I have no updates that are optional and I have no way of knowing what updates are there to be installed.  I am rather confused to say the least.  Have I missed something that I needed to download and install in order to get these optional updates and preview section or has it just not been offered to my laptop.  A computer seems to require more attention anymore than my little dog and at least she gives me me love and companionship in return.  It seems all I get from my computer is a headache.  But since I do have this expensive piece of technology, I need and want to take care of it the best I can.  If someone could kindly help me with this confusion about these optional updates and previews straightened out I would be very grateful.  I have been searching the internet for hours looking for an answer but I have not found the answer.  I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.  Thanking you in advance for your help.

• #2286846 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

There is an explanation for the update terminology in AKB2000016.
        There is also some information about the updating process.

• #2287017 Reply
          anonymous

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to reply to my question.  I had read that article, but unfortunately it did not answer my question.  Even so, I am most grateful that you took your valuable time to try and help.

• #2286853 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

There is an explanation for the update terminology in AKB2000016.
        There is also some information about the updating process.

https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

Not to complicate matters for you BUT …. I bought and easily installed the W10 lifetime/retail PRO upgrade ($39.95 at PC World’s partner Link via Cleverbridge pmt page) to Win 10 Home and you surely have more options with Pro in blocking Unwanted updates (particularly Ver 2004).

When you get things sorted out consider it and re-read AKB2000016 as if Pro installed. (shows 25 days left for $39.95 but it seems to re-set at ea expiration until (presumed) they run out of purchased Licenses).

Woody/Admin Asst’s: Not sure IF Link allowed in Visual Tab and Cannot find WHEN you should use TEXT Tab for Links posting. Can it be put in FAQ?

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5 Coffee Lake/ InSpectre #8 = GREEN

• #2286914 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

$40 is a lot for those on a limited budget – you can get a good backup disk for the same money and just backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

• #2287026 Reply
          anonymous

Thank you for your reply.  Updating to a more involved version (Pro) is not going to point me in the right direction to help me find the answer to my question.  Although I do appreciate your input.  Also, while $39.95 may not seem like much to you, when you are senior on a fixed income it can mean having to make a decision between buying food or medicine for that month.  I hope you never have to make that decision.  Anyhow, thank you for kindness in reaching out to try and help.  I am sure other people must have the same or similar question.  I will just keep digging until I find my answer.  Again, thank you.

• #2287034 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

The easiest way I’ve found to check for updates and hide them is WUMgr. It can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/releases/tag/v1.1

You want the WuMgr_v1.1b.zip file which is downloaded and unzipped prior to use.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by geekdom.
      • #2287062 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 home have no control over updates except for using deferrals.
        If you want to see the list of waiting updates and control what/when to update you can use Microsoft’s wushowhide.digicab free portable app.

Run the app. Select advanced. Untick apply repairs… and next.

• #2287064 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Win10 Home only has Pause.

Deferrals are available in Win10 Pro through pulldowns in the GUI under Windows Update\Advanced settings in v1903/v1909 and through Group Policy. But only in the Pro/Ent Editions.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Optional Updates and Previews

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.