News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Ordering groceries ahead of time

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Ordering groceries ahead of time

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 3 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

My wife and I just did our grocery shopping – from our computer at home.

We logged onto walmart.com, selected all of the grocery items we wanted, and chose a pickup time tomorrow.

This is a really great way to shop. Not only do you get to select everything in a non-impulse, non-pressured way, but you don’t have to spend any time in the store – you simply drive up, let them know you have arrived, and they bring you your groceries! I did this once before, and it was a very pleasant experience.

About the only things we don’t buy in this way are ice cream and bananas – the ice cream might be melted by the time we arrive, and the bananas will likely be too green.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1984985 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

If they are out of stock of your preferred brand, our local supermarkets’ online stores do not give enough product information to be able to make an alternative selection when taking allergies into account. If they did, I’m sure more people would shop online.

I’d be reluctant to purchase most fruit or vegetables online, as I like to select ripeness, size, freshness in all my selections. Even when you buy a bag of something, there’s always produce in there that might be deemed “unsellable”! 🙂

• #1985032 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

I don’t use the buy online and pick-up method. I have mine delivered. It may cost a bit more but the convenience is worth it to me. Not going to advertise for the delivery service, but it’s owned by a national retailer.

I have about ten stores to choose from, maybe more, but I only use three on a regular basis. This includes alcohol, beer-wine and spirits.

I select when the food, etc is delivered, within a one hour  window, or I can order now and have it delivered in an hour.  With membership ($89 US a year) delivery is free for orders over $35.

I get a text from my shopper when they start shopping and can leave instructions on each item they will pick. I like my bananas on the green side, I note that. Some foods have expiration dates, I say check dates, I want the fresh stuff (milk). If something is out of stock they text me and ask if I want to substitute and tell (or text a pic) of what’s available.

Once you get to know your shoppers they know what you want, even in size limits. I order 5 lbs of wild rice but they only have 1 lb bags, “you want 5X1 they ask?”

Not all items in the store are shown online. I ask the shopper to look out for those.

I get to meet the person that actually does the shopping/picking.

Works for me.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

• #1985040 Reply

Seattle27
      AskWoody Plus

I’m a wheelchair user and have had my groceries delivered for about a decade now. The national grocery store chain I use charges about $5 for the service with a 4-hour delivery window. (Shorter windows are available for a bit more money.) This is pretty much ideal seeing as how 1) there are no grocery stores nearby in this downtown area, and 2) there’s no way I could carry more than 1 bag of groceries whilst wheeling.

I sometimes think that I happened to be disabled at just the right time, what with the internet for communication and purchasing of goods and services. I still get out for small convenience store runs and other short trips, so it’s not complete internet dependence here ~ but it sure helps.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1985096 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

How long does it take them to prepare an order before pickup?  I know the service is offered, but I’ve never tried it.

I don’t think getting grocery deliveries is an option where I live.  I know it wasn’t at Wal-Mart when I last checked.  Heck, I can’t even get the US Postal service to deliver to my house, or anywhere else in my zip code (a relatively densely packed residential area of a few square miles).  UPS, Fedex, Airborne Express, etc., as well as Pizza Hut and Domino’s, no problem.  US Mail, not a chance.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.3).

• #1985618 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

We live out in the country, and there is no Walmart near us. However, when we know we will be in town, we order our groceries the day before, and then pick them up when we are about to return home.

We have to order at least 12 hours before pickup time.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2004147 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t think getting grocery deliveries is an option where I live.  I know it wasn’t at Wal-Mart when I last checked.  Heck, I can’t even get the US Postal service to deliver to my house, or anywhere else in my zip code (a relatively densely packed residential area of a few square miles).  UPS, Fedex, Airborne Express, etc., as well as Pizza Hut and Domino’s, no problem.  US Mail, not a chance.

Same here. UPS, Fedex, etc. deliver to the property but my USPS mailbox is 5 miles away and there are theft problems since they are unattended so I get slips put in the box to pick up mail at the PO.

Grocery’s, pizza, etc. is out of the question here. There is a Walmart about 20 + miles away that I go to once a week but I usually have to get prescriptions so I doubt that they will bring that out to the car.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1985108 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Give me an impulse buy any day!
      Plus I look for things that are price reduced due to being about to expire, so I get to try different things.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2006094 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

I look for things that are price reduced due to being about to expire, so I get to try different things.

I never thought about that; that would be a good reason to do the shopping yourself.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    • #1986008 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

enough product information to be able to make an alternative selection when taking allergies into account

… this.

I mean, they don’t even do that, much less notify you when a supplier changes their recipe. In case of some less common allergies that can be a real bother…

• #1986046 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

In case of some less common allergies that can be a real bother…

I promise you, it is! And for some people, that could be life-threatening.
        🙁

• #1986163 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

About the only things we don’t buy in this way are ice cream and bananas – the ice cream might be melted by the time we arrive, and the bananas will likely be too green.

Jim, I agree with your avoidance of produce, but our Walmart keeps all of the frozen stuff frozen for pickup orders. I’d buy ice cream this way (and usually do) with confidence.

• #1986883 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

The national grocery store chain I use charges about $5 for the service with a 4-hour delivery window.

5$ seems like a bargain, i am afraid to ask what it would cost here. We have meal ingredient delivery here (hello fresh ) that say they are cheaper than super market prices, I remain skeptical.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #2004115 Reply

Krusty
      AskWoody Lounger

Are they also delivering directly to your home ?

• #2004164 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

They will keep it in cold containers.  I do miss the visual “shopping” experience but when I’m busy, I’ll do Instacart – especially for such items as milk, eggs, bananas, etc.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Ordering groceries ahead of time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.