News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Outlook 2016 in Windows 10 1903

Posted on brw2019 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

After updating from Windows 10 1809 to 1903 I found when I try to go to Manage Rules & Alerts in Outlook 2016 the display at top is garbled and none of my rules are showing. If I go into Outlook in Safe mode I can access these most of the time (not always). Once I’ve successfully added/edited in Safe mode I can go back to normal mode and the rules will work. It’s been a long time since I needed to edit the rules so I’m not 100% sure the problem didn’t exist under Win1809, but either way that’s the situation now and I haven’t found a workaround other than Safe mode.

• #1984001 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Hm, where specifically is the display garbled, entire top region of screen or just the top region of the rules window?

Have you checked if changing the state of graphics acceleration in Outlook changes anything? This is a fairly common workaround actually. (File / Options / Advanced / Display)

Which version of graphics drivers – we had reports of graphics drivers problems recently with Intel GPUs?
      Which version of Outlook 2016 – is this a subscription or volume install, and what updates? (File / Office Account)

• #1986593 Reply

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

Outlook 2016 Office Pro with License Key.

Tried disabling Outlook graphics acceleration, made no difference. No graphics issues with anything else in Outlook or with any other programs so not affected by the bug some people experiencing.

See attached image of problem. Top of display is garbled and none of the rules appear (I have several). Works fine in Safe mode.

Attachments:
      • #1986595 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Which version of graphics drivers – we had reports of graphics drivers problems recently with Intel GPUs?
        Which version of Outlook 2016 – is this a subscription or volume install, and what updates? (File / Office Account)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1986625 Reply

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

b: I don’t understand your response!

• #1986627 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

I was hoping you might answer the other two questions you were asked.

(You answered 1 and 2 of 4.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1986654 Reply

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

If you’re referring to the graphics drivers I didn’t see any need since there are absolutely no other graphics issues either in Outlook or any other program so I assumed my system wasn’t affected by that bug. My driver is Nvidia 25.21.14.1935 dated 3/1/2019.

To clarify Outlook: version is Office 2016 Pro Plus Microsoft Action Pack license.

• #1986761 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Could you reveal the Office version/build number from File, Office account, About requested by mn-?

• #1986820 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… so I assumed my system wasn’t affected by that bug. My driver is Nvidia 25.21.14.1935 dated 3/1/2019.

Well yes, that certainly shouldn’t be affected by an Intel GPU driver bug, since that’s a Nvidia… though it does seem that Nvidia has released a newer driver in that series and depending on the exact GPU model some number of others still, since then.

Still, since it’s just the rules window, graphics acceleration setting doesn’t affect it, and it works in safe mode – Outlook / Office add-ins are a more likely cause than graphics drivers.

Action Pack licensing is weird anyway.

• #1986788 Reply

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

Here you go: 2016 MSO (16.0.12026.20334) 32-bit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b
      • #1986831 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… right. That version number isn’t a 2016 ProPlus, that’s a 365 ProPlus / monthly “1909”, released just a week ago. As in the rapid-updating version with all the bugs. Same as what I run on one of my work PCs, just to test ahead a bit.

I have a full Office repair (as in full automated uninstall and reinstall) fairly high on the list for these cases…

Or maybe the bug’ll be gone after next update, again.

If your rules are server-side, you should be able to adjust them via either web access or PowerShell.

… oh, just thought of one thing – this somewhat resembles something that I’ve seen with a mixed-version Office install. Apparently something had gone wrong, leaving overlapping parts of two different builds of Office. Fixed by removing all the spurious entries in the applications list and then doing a repair on the correct one.

• #1986900 Reply

brw2019
      AskWoody Plus

Trust me, I’m not running 1909 (running 1903), and my Office is 2016 Pro Plus! See attached screenshot from CP Programs & Features. And everything is up-to-date as of 10/19/19. What may be happening here is it’s a Microsoft Action Pack installation (I’m in the MS Partner Program), and conceivably they play around with the maintenance updates on Action Pack software.

Anyway, I’m living with it since I rarely edit rules (which is why I have no idea how far back the issue goes), and have a workaround with Safe Mode if/when I do.

Attachments:
      • #1986956 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Trust me, I’m not running 1909 (running 1903), and my Office is 2016 Pro Plus!

Well let’s just take a minute to check which product’s version numbers we’re discussing.

I’m fairly sure I had a Windows 10 1809 build 17763.805 and on top of it Office 365 ProPlus Monthly 1909 build 16.0.12026.20334, as of last Friday.

Office 2016 ProPlus MSI version is supposed to have build numbers in the range of 16.0.4xxx.xxxx even after all the updates.

As of right now, .20334 does not appear in the history of published versions for Office 2016 C2R at https://docs.microsoft.com/fi-fi/officeupdates/update-history-office-2019#retail-versions-of-office-2016-c2r-and-office-2019

… yeah, something weird going on with the versioning. Figures that the official listing can’t be trusted?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Outlook 2016 in Windows 10 1903

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.