News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Outlook 2016 issue after May Windows v1909 patches

Posted on Hailstorm Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Outlook 2016 issue after May Windows v1909 patches

Topic Resolution: Resolved

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Hailstorm
        AskWoody Plus

FYI

After installing the May Windows patches (for version 1909), I get the following error when trying to search in Microsoft Outlook (2016).
        “We’re having trouble fetching results from the server…”

Also see this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-update-outlook-search-reports-were-having/fe1abbce-0b95-45d8-81bd-b8951de14a94?page=1

In a reply, “Runner59” has a work-around which also works for me (3rd reply down).

I am not sure if this is widespread, but it annoying for those impacted!

• #2266155 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

I think it was caused by an Office update, not a Windows update.

Presumably you’re using Office 365 and/or Click-to-Run updates?

Anyway, it was previously covered here (and in linked comments):

Reports that this month’s Outlook update knocks out Search via Exchange Server

I believe it has since been solved by Microsoft for most users.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2266303 Reply
        Hailstorm
        AskWoody Plus

Hi b, thanks for your reply, and the link.

Yes it does sound similar, although I don’t think I am using exchange server. The error message I see is a bit different.

My assumption that it was a Windows 10 update was based on the timing of when the problem started, and the link I posted suggested the same.  I do admit my first thought was that it would be an Office update and can’t completely rule that out.

Your link suggests the problem started with version 12730.20236 released on April 29. I now have one PC with the issue on 12730.20352 (May 21) and another on 12730.20270 (May 12). So if it is an MS Office problem then it has not yet been fixed.

Do you happen to know if there a log somewhere where I can see the Click-to-run install history?

Many thanks, HS.

• #2271101 Reply
        Hailstorm
        AskWoody Plus

Just noting that this problem has fixed itself, most probably after the auto-install of Office version 12827.20268. As b noted, this was most likely an Office issue rather than Windows issue. Apologies for the false alarm.

HS

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Outlook 2016 issue after May Windows v1909 patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.