News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Outlook 365 not finding mail since about second week of December 2021

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Microsoft Office by version » Office 365 and Click-to-Run » Outlook 365 not finding mail since about second week of December 2021

Author
    Topic

I have Microsoft 365 on Windows 10 Home x64. In Outlook search has stopped finding emails I’ve received since about 12/15 2021. Anything before that is found but if I search for an email I received after that date Outlook says “No results”. I have checked indexing status and it says “Outlook has finished indexing all of your items” (see attachment).

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Don

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Is it indexing or can you really not find any messages after that date? Are they in your inbox but not found by search?

Yes, they are in my inbox. I ordered something from a company called vari.com yesterday and tried to find the order acknowledgement email today and got the “No results” message. BTW, I did find it by just browsing down the list of incoming mail so I know it is in my inbox. I just received an email from Lumen Field in Seattle at 1:14 pm today about a promotion they are doing. When I search for “From:Lumen” (without the quotes) the latest one I see is for a Garth Brooks concert on 8/3/2021. As I said, it seems to have stopped indexing messages received after about 12/15/2021 or around there.

Have a look at Susan Bradley’s post about disabling the Windows indexing service for Outlook. See:

6000006 Registry key to disable Windows Desktop Search Service for Outlook as pe

Perhaps give the above a whirl and see if it resolves your issue.

Try this:
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5008212-windows-security-update-breaks-outlook-search/

Unistalling update seems to solve the issue. Also you can try to create one REG key as explained in the article.

Sometimes, deleting outdated credentials in windows “Credential manager” helps. Delete everything that containd “Office16” stored in the credential manager.

HTH, dori.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Have you thought about posting on Slipstick Systems?  There’s not much about Outlook (all of its versions) that Diane Poremsky doesn’t know.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Responding to “GoneToPlaid” and “doriel”, I think these are both the same registry hack. I implemented the hack and now Outlook seems to find items after December 15 2021 but the search takes a VERY long time, more than 15 minutes. In addition it slows down the whole computer. Other apps run sluggishly. I see the notification shown in the attached image, which I guess is expected but the long search time and impact on other apps is problematic.

That’s unfortunately the side effect.  It’s not fixed in the January updates either.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Responding to “ScotchJohn”, I will try Slipstick (I know about them and have used them in the past) but my guess is they will just tell me the same thing, which is that a recent MS update is causing this issue.

I forgot to say that I looked in Credentials Manager and did not find any “Office16” entries.

Don

1 user thanked author for this post.

This came today from Slipstick Systems, headed “search bugs (again)”

I’m not sure that it describes exactly what you described in your original post, but it might point a way forward for you.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

I spoke with MS Tech support this past week. They acknowledged that indexing in Win11 is not working correctly and that they are working on a fix.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: Outlook 365 not finding mail since about second week of December 2021

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.