News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Outlook 365 – Title bar – Folder Name

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Outlook and email programs Outlook 365 – Title bar – Folder Name

Tagged: 

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        WSblaine57y
        AskWoody Lounger

Just recently on my work PC they pushed an update for office 365.  This update moved the outlook search box from above the messages to the Title bar.  I understand this is some so called enhancement MS created in 2020.  With the search box now in the Title bar it no longer displays the current outlook folder name in the title bar.  I rarely use the search box but relied on the current folder name displaying in the title bar all the time.   Is there any way to get the current folder name to display next to the search box in the title bar?

Kirsty
        Manager

There seems to have been quite a bit of disquiet about this particular change.

Is there anything in this HowToGeek article that may allow you to make adjustments to better suit you?
        Good luck!

WSblaine57y

No that doesn’t help.  It appears there is no longer a way to see the folder you’re currently in on the title bar.  Only option is scrolling through 30 folders (or however many one has) and see which is hi-lighted bold.  MS 365 Word, Excel and PowerPoint still have the doc name in the title bar along with the search box.  Those apps also have the ability to reduce the search from a search box to just a magnifying glass.  Don’t understand why MS didn’t give the same options for Outlook.  Definitely makes Outlook harder to use.  I rarely use the search box as I keep my email organized.  Anyway thanks for responding.

Susan Bradley
            Manager

I think they did it to make the placement match the web based version of Outlook.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

b
        AskWoody MVP

You can vote for Microsoft to fix it here:

Readd Folder Name after Search Box Location Changed

Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

MHCLV941
        AskWoody Plus

You can vote for Microsoft to fix it here:

This actually started showing up months ago, depending on the release track you were on.

There were thousands of “votes” posted ranging from “please put it back” to “can you make the position optional so I can put it back” to ones that questioned – occasionally in very “colorful” terms, the ancestry, intelligence and intentions of everyone involved in such an “unwelcome” change.

There was a response from Microsoft that said, in effect, we know better than you so get over it and get used to it.

Remember,  this is the same company that foisted the ribbon on the world.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by MHCLV941.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by MHCLV941.
        b
        AskWoody MVP

The new Outlook Search box does have some advantages:

• More vertical space for search terms
        • New keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+E or Alt+Q)
        • Recent/Suggested searches, people, actions
        • Drop-down menu for advanced search options

How to Use Microsoft Outlook’s New Search Box

And the only disadvantage is that it’s moved up by an inch!

MHCLV941
        AskWoody Plus

And the only disadvantage is that it’s moved up by an inch!

WRONG!!!!  It broke the work habits and muscle memory for tens of thousands, if not millions of users.   If you don’t consider that a disadvantage, you have a future at Microsoft and nowhere that customer consideration is in any way taken into account.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          b
          AskWoody MVP

I did say it was a disadvantage. But I should have also included the topic of this thread, the missing folder name in the title bar, as a second disadvantage.

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

Had to log in to thank you for that. I HATE it too. They also change icons subtly, moved the quickparts. Now I have to think while working.

Creature of habit!

MHCLV941
            AskWoody Plus

Now I have to think while working.

I put up a Happy Meal that says you were thinking while you worked before this “improvement” but it was directed at actual productivity, not relearning how to use the software.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Susan Bradley
              Manager

Whenever I’d be in meetings in Redmond (in the days before Covid) they would say “we received feedback that….” and I’d be questioning who they got feedback from?  Insider folks that don’t use Outlook?  How about you talk to crusty old me who actually uses your software?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Outlook 365 – Title bar – Folder Name

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.