News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Outlook cannot read the calendar

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Outlook cannot read the calendar

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        bamateau
        AskWoody Plus

Yesterday Outlook (Microsoft 365 home premium) was working fine.  Today when I opened Outlook, it said “cannot read the calendar,” even though it actually could, as I determined by looking through the calendar.  Opening Outlook with the /safe parameter did not get the error initially but clicking on the Calendar icon results in the error, even though the calendar can actually be read as before.  The only add-ons installed are Microsoft’s own.  Also, near as I can tell, there were neither Office nor Windows updates applied over night.  The data file is not the culprit because it opens just fine when copied to my laptop and opened with Outlook there.  I uninstalled Microsoft 365 with the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant, then re-booted and re-installed Microsoft 365.  The first time I opened Outlook, the error did not recur, but it recurred on every subsequent time.  I’m baffled and at loss to know what to try next.

Attachments:
        b
        AskWoody MVP

Try CalCheck?

CalCheck is a program that checks your Outlook calendar for problems, and performs various checks on general settings, such as permissions, free/busy publishing, delegate configuration, and automatic booking. Then, each item in your calendar folder is checked for known problems that can cause unexpected behavior, such as meetings that seem to be missing.

Resolve Outlook for Windows issues with automated troubleshooting tools

bamateau
          AskWoody Plus

I wouldn’t expect CalCheck to fix the problem because (1) there is no error if I move the PST file to my laptop and open with Outlook there and (2) even on my desktop, after the error shows, Outlook displays the calendar just fine.

b
        AskWoody MVP

You mentioned using Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to remove Office 365.

Did you also use that tool to fix Outlook problems, “I’m having problems with my calendar”?

bamateau
          AskWoody Plus

No, just to re-install Office.  First opening of Outlook was fine.  Subsequent openings got the “cannot read calendar” error again.  So far, not fixed.

bamateau
        AskWoody Plus

After banging my head against the wall, trying various things, I decided AskWoody MVP “B” undoubtedly knows a lot more than I do, so I decided to try CalCheck.  I’m getting an error message that is Greek to me:

ERROR: , Code: 0x8004010F, Function OpenMessageStoreGUID(lpMAPISession, pbExchangeProviderPrimaryUserGuid, &lpMDB), File CalCheck.cpp, Line 470
        ERROR: Could not connect. Ensure you are connecting Outlook via MAPI to an Exchange server.

I don’t have an Exchange server, just Office locally installed.  B, can you give me a clue what I”m doing wrong.  TIA

anonymous

I have the same problem.  Outlook (Office 365) JUST DID AN UPDATE!!

Update 16.0.13901.20336

I am very sure this is the problem.

I tested this buy creating a new PST file and copied the exported calendar to the new PST and the SAME error happens.

Poor quality on MSFT’s part!

b
          AskWoody MVP

I’ve been using build 13901.20336 for a week but I haven’t seen any calendar error.

Could you explain why you created a new PST to reproduce it?

(I think I’m probably missing something.)

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Tasks for the weekend – April 10, 2021 – change your Office @ AskWoody

Have you tried rolling yourself to semi-annual enterprise version? See the link I posted.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

bamateau
          AskWoody Plus

My calendar problem is occurring in version .13901.20148, apparently an earlier version.

b
            AskWoody MVP

Doesn’t that mean that you’re signed up for the Current (Preview) Channel, but you haven’t received the last five updates over the last month?

(Only the Preview channel received that build, and it was released on March 11th.)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Outlook cannot read the calendar

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.