News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • P. D. Q. Bach

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer P. D. Q. Bach

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

@Oscar re Schickele
      I too remember his show but I had always assumed that PDQ was a made up thing just because well I don’t really know. Some times I am correct by accident.

P. D. Q. Bach is a fictitious composer invented by the American musical satirist Peter Schickele, who developed a five-decade-long career performing the “discovered” works of the “only forgotten son” of the Bach family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._D._Q._Bach

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #2013729 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

My finest claim to fame: I once showed PDQ… er Schickele… how to “play” electronic music, using RF interference patterns generated by an IBM 1620. Circa 1970.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2013777 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

From Woody’s entry, that looks like he and Schiekele were playing with a sort of improvised theremin, varying the intensity of the radio signals converted to sound by moving around a receiver, rather than their hands to create a variable resonant circuit.

I have been a long time fan of PDQ, and also liked to listen to his program on Public Radio, ‘Schiekele Mix’. I tried to find the recordings of this program, on DVD or on line, but they are not available, because of copyright issues with the music he played on the air to illustrate the topics about and around music theory, which he always explained so well and with such a sense of humor. And the subjects he chose, at least to me, were often not just interesting but also I learned several quite unexpected and even arresting things from his explanations, such as the fact that the pentatonic scale is used not just in Asia and by native peoples throughout the Americas, but also in much of Western music (in the general sense of ‘European’, not the particular one of ‘from the land of cowboys, bronco riding, California Girls, Ansazi ruins, ten gallon hats and gold rushes’), particularly in folk music. I had never noticed that until I learned this from him Then I started to notice it in the folk music I listened to.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2013796 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Wavy: PDQ was real, if you were to believe Schickele, who always said he was real. But there is some scope for justified skepticism, first, because Peter is a big joker. Also the actual instruments PDQ’s music was composed for and is supposed to be played on are not really period instruments. Finally, it is rather suspicious that PDQ was, supposedly, a composer of some note in his day, but ended up being the ONLY forgotten son of JSB. And finally final, nobody knows what ‘PDQ’ stands for. I know, I’ve asked around.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2014686 Reply

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Please Don’t Quit !
          😉

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #2014512 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

Apparently it stands for “Pretty Damned Quick”?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._D._Q._Bach

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2014935 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Not in German… and possibly not in the 1700s anywhere?

• #2015644 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

mn- “Not in German… and possibly not in the 1700s anywhere?

Yes! That is quite revealing, is it not? Unless, of course, JSB and the first Mrs. B had a brainstorm and decided to name him ‘Quintus”, he being their fifth born. But, unless someone (Schickele?) has done an amazingly proficient job of first scrubbing and then rewriting the Bach’s family records, according to them their fifth-born was no other than Carl Philip, the best known and most renowned son of the B family. So: still ample reason for skepticism here.

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/bach/guides/children/

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: P. D. Q. Bach

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.