News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • passwords disappearing in Outlook and Chrome in Win10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 passwords disappearing in Outlook and Chrome in Win10

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        SvdH
        AskWoody Plus

Hi,

On one pc we have a weird disappearing of passwords in Outlook and Chrome. These are the only apps that have passwords on this pc. This has been happening since about a week.
        After putting the passwords again into the mail-accounts and Chrome and shutting off the pc we found that when the startscreen appears about half of the time there’s only the picture of a landscape with no text like: do you like this picture, and so on. The other time after a shutdown and restart the text shows up. In both instances the login screen appears after a click. No trouble with that.
        Now, when there’s not any text on the startscreen, starting Outlook and collecting mail comes up with the windows asking for the passwords of the 2 accounts. Every time again. Doesn’t matter  whether “Saving password” is clicked or by putting it in at the mail setting in the control pannel to store the passwords.
        On the contrary when the startscreen comes up WITH the info text Outlook seems to have stored the passwords, even after a previous start the passwords didn’t show up!

Chrome on the other hand keeps losing it’s passwords no matter what the windows startscreen looks like, text or not.

To me it looks like there’s something going wrong when starting Windows 10, but no idea what can cause that. Anybody? TIA

Sjors

• #2288106 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you recently run a malware scan? What A/V?
        What version of Win10 are you using? Home or Pro?
        What version of Outlook are you using?

Does your Windows login have a password? Local or Microsoft?
        Are there more than one ID on the computer?
        Are there any differences between the two logins: desktop look the same? same background? data in the same place?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2288110 Reply
        SvdH
        AskWoody Plus

ty.

Yes, used AVG for malware.
        Latest version, august update today.
        Office 2019

Only one ID for this pc, local with password

Started last week.

Sjors

• #2288115 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

What version of Win10? 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004? Home or Pro?
          Is Office 2019 Persistent or Click-to-run? What is the current version.
          What is the version oc Chrome? 84 or earlier?

• #2288118 Reply
        SvdH

home 2004
        Office 2019 persistent, current version not at hand, auto updates though
        Chrome same, meaning auto-updates.

What bothers me the most at the moment is the appearance of the startscreen, sometimes with text, sometimes without.

Bit weird, never seen that behavior.

Sjors

• #2288338 Reply
          anonymous

maybe it’s the same Windows 10 2004 issue that Guenter Born described in his blog today:

• #2289783 Reply
            SvdH
            AskWoody Plus

Hi,

Tnx, but couldn’t find his blog. Do you have a link?

TIA
            Sjors

• #2288794 Reply
        jessbell
        AskWoody Lounger

I am also experiencing the constant re-asking for passwords in Google Chrome even when I click the Save password box/window after successful re-entry. This will hold until I close the browser and then it starts all over again. I have a Windows 7 machine on my network where I have No problem what so ever. ” very Strange”

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: passwords disappearing in Outlook and Chrome in Win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.