News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – 2004 be a tad more communicative please?

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – 2004 be a tad more communicative please?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Something in the premium comments on Thurrott’s newsletter about 2004 limping along caught my eye: “I wish Windows Update would tell you why the 2004
        [See the full post at: Patch Lady – 2004 be a tad more communicative please?]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2284614 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

There’s an interesting overview on A Square Dozen:

from a client installation perspective, it is often difficult or even impossible to match up an error message/code with anything published on [the Release Information site] (or any other Microsoft site).

This post is a deep dive into my experience with identifying Hard Blocks and making sense out of generic error messages like the one below. It will also contain some best guesses for how some things work where I may not have a 100% clear understanding.

• #2285690 Reply
        Seattle27
        AskWoody Plus

It sure seems odd to me that newer machines aren’t being offered v 2004. I have three older refurbished Dells: 2 Latitude laptops and an Optiplex desktop. They were all offered the 2004 feature update shortly after it was released. Of course there is nothing really noteworthy about the new version, but I have backup images and so I installed 2004 on both laptops and haven’t had any issues. The upgrade process didn’t take all that long either.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 7 hours ago by Seattle27.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – 2004 be a tad more communicative please?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.