Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – a new ribbon for Office

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – a new ribbon for Office

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  b 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

In the last few weeks you may have received a new ribbon bar look.  It’s a bit whiter and has more contrast than the old icons.  If you think you acci
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – a new ribbon for Office]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #225352 Reply

RamRod
      AskWoody Lounger

And that is precisely why I still use Office 2003. And also why I turned off Windows Update. And why I back up everything on three separate external hard drives. Lovin’ it on 1511 runnin’ Office 2003.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #225354 Reply

anonymous

Sheeeesh… they really don’t have anything better/useful to do? (Or, rather do nothing at all, that’d be an acceptable alternative from users’ POV – and that includes the supersloppy patching.)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #225549 Reply

anonymous

Once again they chose looks over functionality…

• #225842 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Lounger

Once again they try to re-invent the wheel.  Rather see them use their time making Truly Quality Updates!

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Group B

• #225368 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

I stopped using Word when that horrible ribbon was forced on us.  I got Open Office and have never looked back. I loved Word/Office before Microsoft ruined it with the ribbon.  I’ve been happy with Open Office so Microsoft actually did me a favor as Open Office is free.

• #225402 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

Have we really reached a time where the thing – UI colors – you used to be able to configure yourself is now an important item being delivered by the patch process?

Is this social engineering to try to get everyone used to everything changing unexpectedly? Long term de-sensitization and weaning from the expectation that you should be able to do something today that you could do yesterday without paying extra?

-Noel

9 users thanked author for this post.
    • #225528 Reply

b
      AskWoody Lounger

If you want to go back to the more classic view, you can flip your click to run patching schedule from monthly to semi-annual channel.

Re the link; How To Change Office365 From Deferred to Current Channel

Office 365 hasn’t had a Current Channel or Deferred Channel for more than a year:
      New names for Office for Windows desktop update channels

And the steps described could only apply to a work or school account, not Home or Personal Office 365.

Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant "Toxic drinker"

• #225529 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

B, are you saying that a person is stuck with the new ribbon, even if they don’t like it?

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #225531 Reply

b
          AskWoody Lounger

No, I didn’t say that.

Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant "Toxic drinker"

• #225551 Reply

anonymous

Hm, so if I want to get rid of those pesky monthly updates I should go for the semi annual-channel? Or do I still get all those security-blahblah etc then? In that case it’s a bit useless to switch…

• #225560 Reply

Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

So here’s the thing, you will still have security updates behind the scenes.  What you won’t get is the feature changes/updates that the monthly channel gets.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #225559 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve flipped godaddy personal to deferred.  The old names still work.  I just did it a month ago.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #225579 Reply

b
          AskWoody Lounger

GoDaddy? You lost me.

Portal.Microsoft.com is only for work/school accounts.

• #225530 Reply

EyeJove
      AskWoody Lounger

Good to see they’ve concerned themselves with the frighteningly important stuff like the way the ribbon looks. I’m so sick of them devoting 100% of their time to testing patches, updates and that eternal waste of time called “functionality”.

• #225547 Reply

anonymous

Time to jump off the 365 bandwagon. Lately the updates get bigger and bigger plus more frequent. I was under the impression that Office was meant to be productive. I might have been wrong here, this also became a pushy snow off we-know-what-is-good-for-you-product. Microsoft has lost not only its mojo but also the way. Just another tell tale sign: under macOS Office 365 is the software that gets the most frequent and by far the biggest updates of all installed software. Besides that it is also the slowest starting and closing junk. Sad, it was once  slick and fast.

• #225548 Reply

anonymous

Hi! Is that a Microsoft-employee there on your right you’re chatting with…? It would explain a lot…

• #225566 Reply

mbhelwig
      AskWoody Lounger

I refuse to use their ribbon menu and when I have to use Ms office I use UbitMenu found here — http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

On mu own computers I use OpenOffice and its cousin LibreOffice.

Can recommend both — and they are free!!!!!!

mbhelwig

• #225585 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Lounger

My most recent project was done from start to finish, not on Microsoft Office, but on Softmaker Office. They offer the customer a choice of interface–ribbon or traditional menus.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that the whole project was done on Kubuntu Linux? Softmaker offers their software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and even Android. Moreover, in their Kubuntu version at least, I can choose from a variety of UI color schemes too.

• #225631 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

Softmaker certainly has generous and inexpensive licensing terms:

* Home users can use one license on up to five computers at the same time.
          * Commercial users can use one license on two computers, as long as the 2nd computer is portable.
          * Educational version is free.

Where did you learn about Softmaker? And how compatible is it with MS Office? Libre Office is very compatible, but not 100% compatible.

On the blog, they speak of “tablet computers”. I’m guessing that these tablets are not Android, but rather Windows or perhaps iOS, because they don’t say anywhere on their website that their software is compatible with Android. (They say MAC, not iOS, so probably iOS won’t work either.)

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
          1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #225681 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

Where did you learn about Softmaker? And how compatible is it with MS Office? Libre Office is very compatible, but not 100% compatible.

It’s been several years, I can’t remember when or where I first heard of Softmaker. It could have been a tech site, but I couldn’t be sure about that.

In my experience, Textmaker (the word-processing element of the Softmaker suite) is almost completely compatible with MS Word. Just about every aspect of complex files transfers back and forth without issues. The only limitation I’ve come across in my work was with one document that contained mathematical formulas created with the Equation Editor in Word and Textmaker didn’t interpret them well.

But by way of contrast, I’ve worked with documents created by others in LibreOffice, and when going back and forth between it and Word, we’ve had problems with soft carriage returns turning into hard returns, and with edits made in Word not carrying over.

On the blog, they speak of “tablet computers”. I’m guessing that these tablets are not Android, but rather Windows or perhaps iOS, because they don’t say anywhere on their website that their software is compatible with Android. (They say MAC, not iOS, so probably iOS won’t work either.)

It must be their Android-specific version: https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-hd-android

• #230877 Reply

anonymous

What is the current status of this “new” ribbon for Outlook?

I update my Retail CTR Office 2016 manually now and then.  Currently on Ver 1808.

Is my only choice, dont update anymore or get hit with the new ribbon?

• #230914 Reply

b
        AskWoody Lounger

You’ll get improved icons with Version 1809:

Your ribbon icons have a new look
        Don’t worry, everything works the same.
        Plus, they look great on screens of all sizes.

Version 1809 (Build 10827.20138)

The option for a simplified ribbon will follow later for most users, I believe (Office Insiders already have this option):

Use the Simplified Ribbon

• #231760 Reply

anonymous

Is my only choice, dont update anymore or get hit with the new ribbon?

So I assume my choices are don’t update, or yes get the new ribbon.

• #231785 Reply

b
            AskWoody Lounger

If by new ribbon you mean improved icons, then I think the answer is yes.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – a new ribbon for Office

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.