News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – can’t upgrade if you have…

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – can’t upgrade if you have…

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by

EP 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-hold-for-windows-10 So my Lenovo laptop is “throttled” because I have an external usb
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – can’t upgrade if you have…]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1741530 Reply

waynebialas
      AskWoody Plus

Hello… I copied an ISO version to the internal HD and ran the ISO with “Virtual Clone Drive” (there are many good alternatives).  Version 1903 seems to be working well on my HP Envy.  Good luck.

(Your posts are great.)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1741541 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Would Mr. Natural “trick” be useful here ?

The trick is to boot to the usb stick, begin the install process and when the pc does the first reboot, pull the usb stick out of pc and the install will complete without any warnings.

From:  https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/mct-conundrum/

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1741542 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

Wouldn’t even go to the first boot.  It was in the early stages.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1741543 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

do you have over 7Gb free space for upgrade?

********** Peng/Wins x86/x64 **********

- µfix

• #1741553 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, this is one way to protect one’s computer from those forced “up”grades…  😉

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1741586 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

An Upgrade today left my 4TB and 2TB USB HDDs alone plus the 2 NAS drives on my Router.  I did have to Remove the 8GB SDHC card I was using for ReadyBoost on an older Vostro 1510 Notebook, even though I had plenty of room, to complete the Upgrade but putting it back after done got it set up again.  And the Wireless USB Mice are not affected.  Haven’t seen any loss of data so far.

I wonder if having a USB drive with an assigned drive letter makes a difference from thumb drives.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by
         Berton.
      • #1741653 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

The latest update, Build 18362 CU KB4497935, released to the SLOW & Release Preview rings addresses this issue.

--Joe

• #1742438 Reply

Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

The latest update, Build 18362 CU KB4497935, released to the SLOW & Release Preview rings addresses this issue.

Then why not wait and release this when the fix is out?  I know shipping is a feature but this showcases that once a year feature releases are where they should be, not this twice a year we have to get it out no matter what we are doing now.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1743156 Reply

GreatAndPowerfulTech
          AskWoody Lounger

That update is for installed v.1903. The issues are installing/updating to 1903 with the previously released ISO for it. When the ISO is updated, with the latest patch slipstreamed in, the issue won’t exist anymore. It’s a short term paradox. I’ve upgraded 1803 and 1809 to 1903 using a DVD, as it currently won’t allow a flash drive to be plugged in to upgrade.

GreatAndPowerfulTech

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1741974 Reply

anonymous

If you unplug the USB drive and use the Update Assistant from the Windows 10 download page (Update now) it should work!

• #1741983 Reply

anonymous

Does your Acer have a DVD drive? If so, use the Media Creation tool to burn an installation disk and go from there.

If it doesn’t, you may be SOL (Sorry, Out of Luck).

• #1742150 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Lenovo laptop is “throttled” because I have an external usb

This has been fixed with KB4497935 for 1903.

Fixed the long-standing update blocker that prevented updates to new versions of Windows 10 if an external USB device or SD memory card was connected to the PC.

• #1742318 Reply

anonymous

Mount the ISO (I used Windows.iso downloaded with the Media Creation Tool) and run setup.exe from there.

b
    • #1743253 Reply

anonymous

Just don’t redirect your folders, otherwise you’ll be also throttled…

• #1743852 Reply

Maincat
      AskWoody Plus
    • #1743886 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I just did the Upgrade to Version 1903 yesterday on a Dell Vostro 1510.  I had to [properly] eject the 8GB SD card being used by ReadyBoost and reboot to clear the memory of reference to the card before it would Upgrade but otherwise went quite well.  The Vostro has a maximum of 4GB but some file management [large files] works better with more.

• #1747373 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve gotten KB4497932 but not KB4497935.

• #1749996 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve gotten KB4497932 but not KB4497935.

KB4497932 is an Adobe Flash update.

• #1759568 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

Susan:

the KB4497935 update has been publicly released this morning May 30, which fixes the USB storage problem:
      https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4497935

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – can’t upgrade if you have…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.