Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – Defender makes a change

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – Defender makes a change

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  PerthMike 5 months ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

So earlier I was helping on a thread in the forum about some issues with failing defender updates on Small Business Server 2011 platforms. [For anyone
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – Defender makes a change]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #173913 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody MVP

Just a quick note regarding this excerpt:

For the rest of us on windows 7, 8.1 and 10, be aware that effective March 1, 2018, if you happen to be running Windows defender on Windows 10 or Microsoft Security Essentials, any software that tries to trick you will be detected and removed.

Windows 8.1 also uses Defender as the full-on antimalware, not MSE.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #174075 Reply

amraybt
      AskWoody Lounger

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/antimalware-support/malware-and-unwanted-software-evaluation-criteria

Unwanted behavior: lack of choice

Under this new protection will MSE/Defender be removing Windows 10 OS from PCs that were forced onto 1709? 😉

Jokes aside those evaluation criteria seem quite vague and broad. It also appears that “unwanted software” will be removed without first notifying the user. Plenty of software come with bundles or ads for their other products, such as Auslogics Disk Defrag. I fear many false positives getting detected and suddenly removed without user knowledge. Malwarebytes doesn’t like Auslogics and classifies some reg keys or dlls as PUPs, but at least I can tell it to ignore those and not take action.

I use Defender on 8.1. Last week I started using Avast on 7 but after 4-5 days I ran into an issue and had to uninstall Avast (may have to explain/inquire in a separate topic when I get the chance), so for now I’m using MSE on 7 but want to get away from MSE and WD eventually.

Ideally users would have the option to enable/disable these new anti-“unwanted software” protections separately from the core real-time protection against malware, rootkits, etc., but I’m not sure if that’s feasible.

-- Group B through Dec 2017, currently Group W --
      Win 7 Pro x64 desktop (Haswell CPU, AMD GPU)
      Win 8.1 Home/Basic x64 laptop (Haswell CPU, Nvidia GPU)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  amraybt.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #174217 Reply

Cascadian
        AskWoody Lounger

The irony is running a bit deep. I’m not sure my boots are high enough, may need waders. All the glass at Microsoft must be clear, their Windows do not reflect their own image back for them to recognize where they do the same coercive tactics.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #174099 Reply

anonymous

Like I said before, as long as Windows Defender turns itself off and stays in the closet when third-party antiviruses are installed, I am happy.

Kaspersky does display notifications asking you to pay to renew your license when it’s about to expire, though. Wouldn’t it be simply ironically amusing (and really, really devastating and problematic) if Windows Defender deleted Kaspersky for that? Would that be a breach of anti-competition laws? (I’m no lawyer)

Once again, Microsoft going about their ridiculous scheme to tell users that “We know what’s best for you so just use our products and you don’t need to use anything else”. Um, yeah, no.

• #174122 Reply

anonymous

I have Windows Home Server 2011 which is based on Server 2008 R2 and have Windows Defender on the machine.  I didn’t install it but its there and is updating.  It would not set the reg key, so I had to do that manually to get Windows Updates to keep working.

• #174804 Reply

PerthMike
      AskWoody Lounger

“Software that tries to trick you”? Oh, so it’ll also block any forced upgrades? (Yes, I’m being facetious, but obviously nobody at Microsoft the irony patch installed in their brains.)

No matter where you go, there you are.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – Defender makes a change

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.