News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – How to update Win10 to fix Spectre, Meltdown and other side channel vulnerabilities

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – How to update Win10 to fix Spectre, Meltdown and other side channel vulnerabilities

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tex265 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Patch Lady Susan Bradley’s latest column in CSOOnline: In January 2018, security news media was abuzz over a new class of vulnerability called side ch
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – How to update Win10 to fix Spectre, Meltdown and other side channel vulnerabilities]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #330389 Reply

anonymous

Would prefer articles I don’t have to register for.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #330455 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yeah, me too, but sometimes the publisher likes to toss in an additional hurdle. Some of my articles in Computerworld require registration. I don’t like it, but I don’t pay the bills…

The IDG sign-up is relatively innocuous and one registration is good for all articles from Computerworld, CSOOnline, PC World, InfoWorld, Macworld and the like.

• #330426 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-004A

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #330442 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Lounger
    • #330763 Reply

Tex265

This whole area is so confusing, complex, with so much to research and digest.  Everytime I start to read up on it I end up quiting due to the number of articles, length, and complexity. Plus trying to figure out exactly where to go and whether it involves Chips or Software. Then Intel says one thing, but the Motherboard maker wont produce a bios update, or Intel withdrawals the update, or its a software update then Microsoft messes it up or even Woody’s recommends not to install one or the other.  Then not only Motherboards, but other devices – Nvidia graphics, Sound cards? etc.

I know this is a huge ask, but could Woody’s create a reference for each type of vulnerability by operating system and major device type?

Hardware or Software, where to obtain (ie: Hardware – Computer Mfr, Motherboard Mfr, Intel, Nvidia, Software – Microsoft, device maker, etc and whether recommended to install or not?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – How to update Win10 to fix Spectre, Meltdown and other side channel vulnerabilities

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.