News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – issues with Win10 Access 97

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – issues with Win10 Access 97

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

deuxbits 2 months ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

I just noticed that in the Windows 10 release notes it has this info: Remember this patching issue?  https://borncity.com/win/2019/01/11/windows-janua
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – issues with Win10 Access 97]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #309264 Reply

gborn
      AskWoody_MVP

Susan, thanks for your post and your comment at borncity.com. I’ve added this comment with a remark. Will write another article, that will sum things up and point out some ‘pitfalls’ with the MS suggestions. Need some time (we have Saturday morning here in ‘old Europe’ ;-).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #309341 Reply

gborn
      AskWoody_MVP

Well, here is the new article Microsoft confirms Access 97 MDB bug in Jet Database Engine caused by Windows January 2019 Updates with a few thoughts.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #309348 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Plus

I take it that we can follow the established principle that if we don’t know what Access 97 is then it doesn’t apply to us?

• #310004 Reply

deuxbits
        AskWoody Lounger

Unfortunately no, you may need to be concerned about the issue. Many third party programs utilize the Microsoft lightweight database engine (Jet) that is associated with Microsoft Access. You may not have or use Microsoft Access directly but you may have a third party program that utilizes that underlying database engine and the older Access database file formats that it utilizes.

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing - Werner Von Braun

• #309376 Reply

anonymous

Does Linux run db4?

• #309509 Reply

johnf
      AskWoody Lounger

Oracle Berkeley Database (DB4) runs on Android, Windows, Java and Unix (Linux). It seems to be used a lot for Crypto Currency (Bitcoin, foe example), although there are other industrial uses for it.

As Elly said, you may want to ask the question about DB4/Linux in the Linux for Windows Wonks area, and see if anyone has experience with it. There’s also a lot of documentation on the Oracle Web Site, as well as here.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by
         johnf.
    • #310003 Reply

deuxbits
      AskWoody Lounger

Although the MS note does not mention this, the bug also affects Access 95 format files as well. Furthermore, if the program attempts a compress/repair of these older format database files any tables containing field names longer than 32 characters will be deleted! This is otherwise know as data corruption.

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing - Werner Von Braun

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – issues with Win10 Access 97

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.