News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – Office 365 ATP this shouldn’t be missed

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – Office 365 ATP this shouldn’t be missed

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Dear Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection.  You aren’t being that advanced today. that’s not my email address Short message and email attachment scre
        [See the full post at: Patch Lady – Office 365 ATP this shouldn’t be missed]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Attachments:
        4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2210816 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

I’d be interested to know what percentage of AskWoody readers have Advanced Threat Protection.

My guess is almost none, as it requires a Business, Education or Enterprise license at $8 to $35 per user per month:

Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection – Plans and pricing

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2210824 Reply
        Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

ATP is their premier product.  If THAT isn’t catching it, neither is defender.  This is the platform (Microsoft 365 Business) that they want all small businesses on.

My point is if they aren’t catching the obvious stuff – AT THIS TIME – we are in big trouble.

And to be fair only ONE vendor flagged it.  ONE.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2210832 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

Susan, in your post you mention having run the suspect file through Virus Total and also something called “reverse.it”:

When I run it through virustotal.com and reverse.it sure enough

Using that as a search term, I found a reverse-it.net (note the hyphen instead of a dot), but it’s in Dutch. What is this “reverse.it” you mentioned?

• #2210835 Reply
        krzemien
        AskWoody Lounger

On the flip side I do receive e-mails from Microsoft themselves that are sent to my work account (that’s been moved to Office 365 some time ago) that get classified mercilessly as SPAM and end up in JUNK folder.

So there’s that.

(Having just thought about it there’s some seed of truth in it though: they are indeed actually a bit junky, so perhaps this service actually works as expected…?!)

• #2210915 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

I hope I am not offending, but “buying” the ATP sub does not automatically “enable” it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/set-up-atp-safe-attachments-policies?view=o365-worldwide

Side note 1: I have not (yet) seen this happen, but will be equally outraged if it does, as this c*** is exactly why we are spending the extra money for the ATP add-on.

Side note 2: I have roughly half of my clients on this now (Plan 1 on top of E1 O365 seats), call it 120 seats worth.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by NetDef.
        • #2210961 Reply
          Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

Trust me I have it enabled. 🙂

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2211426 Reply
          Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

Just a fyi – ATP as demonstrated as functional a few days later.  Same inbox. (view from my iphone)

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2210985 Reply
        anonymous

I’m not surprised.  I used to use Exchange Online Protection in front of my on-prem Exchange server.  This stuff was par for the course, worst spam and malware filter I’ve ever encountered.  Finally dumped it and moved to a better product.

• #2211069 Reply
        AngryJohnny75
        AskWoody Lounger

I agree stuff like this shouldn’t be missed. It just goes to show how AI still can’t compete with human know-how.

I’ve received a much more impressive phishing email that tells me in an official looking email that my PayPal account has been limited. The only way I determine it is a phish attempt is by hovering over the email address or hovering over the link. This is something I know how to do do on a PC but not on a phone.

• #2211179 Reply
        anonymous

Office 365 ATP was cancelled by my company a few years ago since it never seem to capture any of the malware than came it is way. MS was not doing a great job a few years back and it seems it still is not doing well. MS has gotten worse with every year that seems to pass. Bill Gates should be brought back in my opinion. When he was around, things were a little better.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – Office 365 ATP this shouldn’t be missed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.