News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – oh yeah, it’s second release time

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – oh yeah, it’s second release time

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  abbodi86 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

We didn’t have them in December but we’re starting up on the “second” release updates in January. So far I see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – oh yeah, it’s second release time]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2100066 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

1709 (Fall Creator’s update) is still alive?

what a surprise

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
      • #2100213 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

Win10 v1709 is still supported for Enterprise and Education editions only until April 2020, Zaphyrus
        The Home & Pro editions of v1709 fell out of support in April 2019

the newly released KB4534318 update for 1709 will only install on education & enterprise versions of 1709 and will fail to install on the home & professional editions

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  EP.
        • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  EP.
    • #2100103 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Plus

Hello Susan,

On Win 7 Pro x64 machines, if KB4534314 (JANUARY 2020 Win 7 Security Only Quality Update) and KB4534251 (JANUARY 2020 Win 7 IE Cumulative Security Update) have already been installed, can KB4534310 (JANUARY 2020 Security Monthly Quality Rollup) be installed over them to allow for the upcoming Extended Support patches, or must they first be uninstalled?

Thanks,

AJN

• #2100104 Reply

anonymous

Hi all,

So I went ahead & installed the January Win 7 (Home) updates. (I know, naughty naughty).

No problems noted since my desktop image is the right size. Weirdest thing though, after install I got yet another servicing stack update. Guess it’s the “funeral version”.

Any insight would be interesting, possibly even helpful.

Link to the SSU:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4536952/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-server-2008-r2-sp1

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2100110 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

SSU KB4536952 is part of the Jan 2020 updates and OK to install.
        Since SSUs have to be installed exclusively (by themself), it does not show up in WU until/unless there are no other pending (checked or unchecked) updates in the queue. that is why you see it after you installed the other updates.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2100150 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

We didn’t have them for W10 in November too

• #2100215 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

Susan the patch lady forgot to mention this new preview rollup:

KB4534320 for Windows Server 2012 (and Windows Embedded 8 Standard edition):
      https://support.microsoft.com/help/4534320/

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4534320

so far there’s no new preview rollup for Windows 7 since that has already went EOL on 1/14/2020

• #2100331 Reply

anonymous

Will there be W7 previews for the 7 Extended Update qualified W7 clients. And the paid for 7 security update offer for those clients that qualify extends all the way until 2023.

At least there will be more news on any Windows 7 security updates for the extended update qualified customers and that info will be good to have for any folks taking their chances on 7 post 7’s EOL, for those 7 users that do not qualify for the W7 paid update offer.

I just hope that the security advisories are still accessible for all Windows 7 users and I’m actually in the process of transitioning from 7 Pro to 8.1 Pro on one laptop as soon as Feb 2020 before the next set of Windows OS patches arrive post 7’s EOL.

• #2100458 Reply

abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Security Updates don’t get previews, those are only for non-security fixes

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – oh yeah, it’s second release time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.