News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – printer issue fixed but manual download

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – printer issue fixed but manual download

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Microsoft has released for some – but not all at this time – a manual fix for the printing issue. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-inf
        [See the full post at: Patch Lady – printer issue fixed but manual download]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2272990 Reply
        anonymous

Is there any way to see if your printer could be affected by this issue before installing the rollup?

• #2273008 Reply
          Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

What version of the printer driver do you have?  Network printers with PCL 5 drivers in particular were nailed.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2273036 Reply
            anonymous

I’m using the latest driver for my printer I downloaded from the manufacturer’s site.  I just don’t know if it’s PCL 5, 6, or whatever.

• #2272998 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Is there a downside to installing the manual update if you don’t have a printer problem?

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • #2273005 Reply
          anonymous

According to the KBs, MS recommends only installing the update if you have the printing issue.

• #2273106 Reply
            geekdom
            AskWoody Plus

But what else is in that patch?

G{ot backup} TestBeta
            offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
            online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2273017 Reply
        Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

I appreciate the info but we have nearly completed the removal of KB4560960 on all windows 10 systems. I don’t think I’ll be pushing that out again so that I can install a patch to fix a patch.

I count strike 2 for Microsoft. Our windows 10 systems are all still on the April update. I never pushed the May update because of all the uncertainty. My urgency to catch up by rushing the June update cost me.

I figured from all the uncertainty from the May update they would have resolved whatever the issues were by June. I figured wrong. I gambled and lost. That’s why I don’t like to gamble.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2273062 Reply
        anonymous

The patch is a cumulative patch, like a single issue fix version of a C or D week patch of old, so  you wouldn’t need to reapprove/redeploy the regular June cumulative if it makes any difference?

• #2273094 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

I’m using the latest driver for my printer I downloaded from the manufacturer’s site.  I just don’t know if it’s PCL 5, 6, or whatever.

The Belarc Advisor app in Printers section shows I have PLC 6 (V4), Control Panel Printers / Rt Clk/Properties/ Hardware Tab: 3rd Line shows PCL-6 (v4); Speccy App shows PCL-6 in Peripherals Tab, etc., etc.

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy i5-8400/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / InSpectre #8 = GREEN

• #2273187 Reply
        SuperMJT
        AskWoody Plus

Have you seen any other reports of the following issue?  It seems to have been caused by the latest Microsoft Office security updates and prevents access to Outlook within perfectly fine Mail profiles.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=something+is+wrong+with+one+of+your+data+files

• #2273301 Reply
        anonymous

OT I just got offered an out of band update for Microsoft Edge.  I hid the update on Windows 8.1.

• #2273400 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

more manual out-of-band printer fixes for older Windows versions posted Thursday June 18:

KB4567515 for v1709 enterprise & education editions only
        KB4567516 for v1703 on Surface Hub devices only
        KB4567517 for v1607 LTSB 2016
        KB4567518 for v1507 LTSB 2015
        KB4567521 for Win8.1 / Server 2012 R2
        KB4567522 for Win8 Embedded / Server 2012

sorry folks, these patches have to be downloaded manually from MS Update Catalog (MUC) and won’t be distributed thru windows update

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by EP.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2273406 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

This ‘patch’ seems to be a Cumulative Update

2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows

is there no real patch just a half gig file??

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2273424 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

just in – KB4567523 for Win10 version 2004 (build 19041.331)
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4567523/windows-10-update-kb4567523

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4567523

so 2004 users recently got their out-of-band patch today

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – printer issue fixed but manual download

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.