News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – seeing Outlook authentication issues

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – seeing Outlook authentication issues

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  NetDef 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

On a private facebook group and on this thread in a Microsoft forum I’ve been seeing issues where Outlook via Office 365 is having issues authenticati
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – seeing Outlook authentication issues]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1599524 Reply

zasdman
      AskWoody Lounger

Was there any further updates with this issue? I am seeing issues with outlook 2016 not being able to authenticate with exchange servers and I am trying to figure out if this is the same issue or not.

It seems that it does not matter if our PC’s have installed the May Office updates or not as all of our users that use an Exchange account are affected and none of our POP3 users are…

• #1600886 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

No, still don’t know the trigger to this issue.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1604895 Reply

anonymous

we had one laptop have some auth issues last friday (10/05) around TPM issues, this also coincided with the mainboard being replaced under warranty by HP for an unrelated issue (keyboard stopped working). I have disabled ADAL which has provided a work around for now but would like to find a more permanent solution.

• #1620367 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

I just went through some troubleshooting – this started happening to specific people yesterday. Many of them still use Outlook 2010 with O365 Exchange. This also blocked access on iPhones starting yesterday.

The commonality in our case was these people were all sub-admins in some way: either limited billing admin access or user/group membership admins.

MFA was turned on for the org for full admins. MS made a backend change that took our MFA rule and expanded it to include all limited admins. The fix was to add those users to the excluded list for that rule. Eventually I want them to be on MFA, but that requires software upgrades – later this year.

azuremfachange_LI

~ Group "Weekend" ~

Attachments:
      • #1620533 Reply

NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

As a side note, if you enable/enforce MFA auth on Office 365, those users must be using the current version of Outlook 365/2016-19 on their workstations (Outlook 2010 and I think 2013 do not work) as well as on their smartphones. Native phone email clients do not work.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #1620551 Reply

NetDef
          AskWoody_MVP

And one last after-thought: those users must also visit the Office 365 web portal after MFA is turned on to setup their authentication method: either the MS Auth App or SMS verification. Until that is done, they cannot use Outlook to connect.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – seeing Outlook authentication issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.