News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – SFC Scannow issue

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – SFC Scannow issue

This topic contains 29 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by

b 50 minutes ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

Spotted this over on the Bleeping computer forums: Starting today, Windows 10 users are finding that the /sfc scannow feature is no longer working and
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – SFC Scannow issue]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Attachments:
      5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1873849 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

Welcome to the party

Windows 8.1 is suffering from SFC issue since WMF 5.1 was released two years ago
      https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/301869-powershell/suggestions/32515291-bug-wmf-5-1-breaks-sfc-on-windows-8-1-and-sfc-mi
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4470553/configuration-manager-in-place-upgrade-task-sequence-does-not-continue

and they even broke Windows Defender PowerShell cmdlet
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497578/windows-8-1-windows-powershell-cannot-import-windows-defender-module

BTW, this Windows 10 issue has nothing to do with Definitions, it’s just internal PS cmdlets bug

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1873843 Reply

rossnixon
      AskWoody Lounger

I had this *exact* issue yesterday.
      Had file corruption, possibly while fiddling with overclocking.
      Several programs would no longer work.
      sfc /scannow found Windows Defender / Powershell corruption which it couldn’t fix.

Fortunately I had an image of my boot drive that was only 9 days old. All good now.

• #1873848 Reply

anonymous

Corporate just announced our ENTIRE enterprise will not be using any Microsoft products after October 31, 2019. Everything is moving to Debian and RedHat Linux.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1873886 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Let us know how it works. Brave move, I wish we can do this too.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
        --- Thomas A. Edison

• #1873923 Reply

jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

Corporate just announced our ENTIRE enterprise will not be using any Microsoft products after October 31, 2019. Everything is moving to Debian and RedHat Linux.

How many servers and workstations do you have in your organization?

• #1873945 Reply

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Hello. Approx 25 servers total (application, SQL, licensing and print servers) and lets say 150-200 workstations.

--- Thomas A. Edison

• #1873996 Reply

jabeattyauditor
            AskWoody Lounger

Hello. Approx 25 servers total (application, SQL, licensing and print servers) and lets say 150-200 workstations.

Sorry – was trying to find out what size of organization “anonymous” above represents.

• #1874026 Reply

doriel
              AskWoody Lounger

Indeed 🙂 Now you know how big our organisation is.

--- Thomas A. Edison

• #1874035 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

From the “Bleeping Computers” article:

Some users have reported being able to fix the error by running the following DISM commands:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      For those who do not wish to use these commands, you can wait for Microsoft ro resolve the issue.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1874046 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

It still works.  Just follow the rules of troubleshooting.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1874060 Reply

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

Bbearen – your image is unreadable as it’s too small, can you try again please.
        Ha, you beat me to it!

• This reply was modified 4 days, 6 hours ago by
           access-mdb.
        • #1874255 Reply

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Bbearen – your image is unreadable as it’s too small, can you try again please. Ha, you beat me to it!

If you are using Chrome just install Imagus extension : Enlarge thumbnails, and show images/videos from links with a mouse hover (no need to click on links).

• This reply was modified 3 days, 14 hours ago by
             Alex5723.
          • This reply was modified 3 days, 12 hours ago by
             PKCano.
    • #1874059 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

The image in my previous post isn’t very legible.  I ran sfc /scannow and got the “can’t fix ’em” result.  I then ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and let it complete.  I never use the “/checkhealth” or “/scanhealth” switches.  The “/restorehealth” switch does the whole ball of wax in one fell swoop.

I ran sfc /scannow again, and it completed successfully, “found some corrupted files and fixed ’em”.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1874063 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

FWIW, I have a few commandlets ready to use when needed.

A couple of years ago, in notepad, I typed

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and then saved it as “Restore Health.cmd” on my Desktop.  I can right-click it and select “Run as administrator” and it opens a Command Prompt, runs to completion, then exits.

In the example in my illegible screen shot up above, I right-clicked, selected “Edit”, copied the text, pasted it into the already-open Command Prompt, and hit Enter.

• #1874069 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth followed by sfc /scannow fixed it for me too.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1874666 Reply

carpintero
        AskWoody Lounger

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth followed by sfc /scannow fixed it for me too.

Did the “followed by” sfc state that it found corruption?

• This reply was modified 2 days, 4 hours ago by
           carpintero.
    • #1874180 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I’m running SFC /SCANNOW at this time and so far at 95%.  I start it from Control Panel, Command Prompt with as Administrator.  Oops, forgot, it’s Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.239.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by
         Berton.
    • #1874194 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I’m on 1809 and so far 2 of my computers had the SFC problem but the DISM cmd fixed both of them. I haven’t gotten to the other 2 computers yet.

@berton, The SFC runs all the way through but finds errors that it cannot repair which turn out to be Windows Defender problems in the CBS log. The DISM cmd fixes the anomaly.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 23 hours ago by
         CADesertRat.
    • #1874642 Reply

carpintero
      AskWoody Lounger

What does sfc use as its source of repair content?

• #1874665 Reply

SoulAsylum
      AskWoody Lounger

Four systems, all Windows 10 Pro x 64. One machine is still on 1809, the other three are on 1903. Cannot duplicate on any. It appears I’m one of the lucky ones. lol

Cheers

• #1874885 Reply

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Has anyone run the SFC Scannow on a system with the most current Defender definitions?

Perhaps MS fixed the problem?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
    • #1875231 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Yesterday, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool was failing on the B side of my dual boot. The error code it was throwing was dot Net 3.5 related. I did a repair/reinstall to no avail, and decided to wait it out. After all, nothing else was affected, Windows was operating normally.

This morning I rebooted to the B side and checked for Updates. I got KB4506991 installed (Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903), then tried dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and it completed successfully.

• #1875301 Reply

newdude72
      AskWoody Plus

Can someone tell me if me having the exact issues from this post but Windows 7 Professional could be related to the Defender definitions. No matter what I do this Security Update for SQL Server 20104 will not go through. I have spent hours and hours on this. I do however get the exact SFC /Scannow error but the log files do not show me what is corrupt and it can’t fix. Other updates seem to be fine, i.e the quarterly roolup is fine

Any help with be so appreciated. I am very new to this.

• #1875319 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Can someone tell me if me having the exact issues from this post but Windows 7 Professional could be related to the Defender definitions. No matter what I do this Security Update for SQL Server 20104 will not go through. I have spent hours and hours on this. I do however get the exact SFC /Scannow error but the log files do not show me what is corrupt and it can’t fix. Other updates seem to be fine, i.e the quarterly roolup is fine Any help with be so appreciated. I am very new to this.

I assume you are running Defender instead of MSE. Simple way to find out is to run the CMD as an administrator DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth then run SFC again.

• #1875336 Reply

newdude72
          AskWoody Plus

Attached is the error I get when I run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Attachments:
        • #1875369 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

/RestoreHealth is not available on Windows 7. See #1874188

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – SFC Scannow issue

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel