News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – so the a/v vendors are…

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – so the a/v vendors are…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

You remember the story about a hacker group claiming to have the source code and network access to three a/v vendors? Per Bleeping Computer the vendor
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – so the a/v vendors are…]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1620873 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

You remember the story about a hacker group claiming to have the source code and network access to three a/v vendors?

Why would we remember that story? Has it been mentioned here before?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1622538 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Apologies!  Because I read bleeping computer as well as askwoody and because I have an aging brain I may have misremembered that it was discussed here.  It’s been buzzed about in my security venues.  Bottom line….read the article.  Be a bit concerned.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1622887 Reply

anonymous

The article seems to say that Symantec, at least, was not affected, and that this was a mistake. Both Symantec and the group that reported the hack said there was no evidence that Symantec had been compromised.

• #1624054 Reply

anonymous

I don’t buy it. Bye bye Norton.

Back to Defender (+ Windows Firewall Control + common sense).

• #1625917 Reply

anonymous

This is the email I received from McAfee this morning regarding the whole debacle:

You may have seen recent news reports indicating that U.S.-based antivirus providers have been compromised. We are aware of the claims in question and take them very seriously.

We have been conducting an ongoing and thorough investigation of McAfee systems to identify any evidence of intrusion. To date, we have no indication that McAfee’s products, services or networks have been impacted.

We value the trust you instill in us to protect your critical assets – a responsibility we revere and relationship we cherish. Rest assured that we remain vigilant in protecting you and will be transparent with information should our ongoing investigation find evidence of anything that may present risk to your organization. If so, we’ll also be proactive in prescribing actions you can take to defend yourself against any potential exploit scenarios made possible by this incident.

In the interim, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. We know that news of this sort can be unsettling, even if there is no corroborating evidence discovered to support the claims. We remain steadfast in upholding our duty to protect your organization and available to answer any questions you may have as our investigation continues.

Thank you for your continued support of McAfee. Your security outcomes remain at the core of all that we do.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – so the a/v vendors are…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.