News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – the optional 1903 that includes the IE patch is out

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – the optional 1903 that includes the IE patch is out

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  doriel 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

…and I’m not installing it.  Which is saying a lot since I’m an Enterprise Security MVP and normally understand why Microsoft does what they do to k
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – the optional 1903 that includes the IE patch is out]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1965905 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Wotta mess.

• #1965926 Reply

anonymous

This update appears to contain a TON of bug fixes, so I don’t really see the argument in favor of holding off unless you have a specific reason. There are printer issues with the IE update, this update fixes other printing issues. Most machines probably already have all the versions of .net framework installed that they’ll need.

I’m especially interested in

• Addresses an issue with MSCTF.dll that causes an application to stop working.
      • Addresses an issue with the input and display of special characters that occurs when an app uses imm32.dll.

since these are fundamental to how Windows handles input to applications, and I’ve had an intermittent software (resolved upon opening a UAC prompt) windows key stickiness when switching IMEs since upgrading to 1903.

Google’s project zero recently found major, longstanding security vulnerabilities in MSCTF, so it seems like they’re likely fixing input regressions that occurred due to patching these issues.

Overall, this update looks like it could fix a lot of minor annoyances. I don’t have any HP printers and already have .NET 3.5 installed, so full steam ahead for me.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1965991 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Because we’re still working through the side effects.  Rule of Microsoft:  NEVER install an update within a week of install.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1965996 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Let us know how it turns out!

• #1966014 Reply

anonymous

It’s been working great so far, but that doesn’t mean much. Only time will tell if it fixes the intermittent input issue I’ve been having; it’s not easy enough to reproduce that I can test it once and know for certain.

I can’t say whether other users will have issues with this update. But I haven’t run into any yet. No start menu breakage, no IME breakage (so far).

I know Windows is very buggy, which is why I’m happy to see such a long list of fixes. Hopefully it won’t introduce any regressions.

• #1965935 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

Installed the 1903 CU. Everything went fine with no apparent problems.

I was offered the .net CU earlier it also installed with no problems.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

b
    • #1965958 Reply

NoLoki
      AskWoody Lounger

I have this vision of the patch team decision makers sitting around in a collaborative session with HoloLens helmets on their heads. A mixed reality app is running and the solution is being generated for patching Windows on the cheap.

It probably works well for patching fridges.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  NoLoki.
    • #1965961 Reply

IndyPilot80
      AskWoody Lounger

I tried installing the CU for the heck of it on the test computer to see if search was fixed (even though it wasn’t mentioned in the notes). Nope, still broken.

• #1965997 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Is it broken in the same way – black screen with no results? Did you banish cloud searches?

• #1966999 Reply

IndyPilot80
          AskWoody Lounger

Clicking Search (the magnifying glass) and clicking start and typing the first few letters of a program do absolutely nothing. Cloud searching is enabled.

Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Originally, I thought I screwed something up with our image. But, KB4517211 installed just fine on some of them, and on others we get the menu issue.

• #1965980 Reply

warrenrumak
      AskWoody Plus

The audio fix will be welcome by gamers….. but the fact that this bug was introduced at all further proves the point made by that former Microsoft tester — automated testing on virtualized hardware misses certain kinds of problems that only a human is likely to notice.

• #1966186 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

1903 is now officially “ready for broad deployment”:

https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Aorus Radeon RX 570 4GB * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit
      b
    • #1966274 Reply

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

Are the September patches for 1809 still on hold?

• #1966280 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

We’re still on DEFCON-2 (see top of webpage).

• #1966612 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

all Sept 2019 patches for all supported Windows versions are still on hold, berniec.
        wait around the 1st weekend of October (Oct. 5 & Oct. 6) and decide at that time whether to install the September patches

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  EP.
    • #1967051 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Plus

I don’t know how widespread the audio bug is in terms of both the number of users affected and the number of games it relates to, but it’s a classic example of the dilemma facing Windows 7 users in the coming months – particularly for those like me for whom gaming represents the predominant use of the computer.

Should I be more concerned over the theoretical risk to my computer’s security if I stay with Windows 7 or with the far from theoretical risk to my use and enjoyment of the the computer if I switch to Windows 10? It’s not as easy a choice as some may assume, and other options like Linux or dual-boots and VMs etc aren’t for everyone.

Or is it just a classic case of problems that only affect a comparative handful of users being seemingly magnified on a site that is devoted primarily to the disclosure and reporting of such problems? I had certainly hoped that by now the teething troubles with Windows 10 would have been well in the past, but if anything they seem to be getting worse rather than better.

Perhaps we need a separate DefCon rating for upgrading from Windows 7 – as for me, I’m still on DefCon 2 so far as that is concerned – I’m watching and waiting!

• #1967077 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Should I be more concerned over the theoretical risk to my computer’s security if I stay with Windows 7

W7 will be OK if you stay off the internet, but we don’t know what will not be patched that may affect those connected.

I like the “do nothing” option, so I would stay on W7 and make sure I have regular image backups to an external disk and a restore boot USB.
        Now if you wish you can upgrade to W10 and see how you go. If it’s really horrible you can restore in about 20 minutes.

cheers, Paul

• #1967097 Reply

Seff
          AskWoody Plus

I appreciate that’s the correct response, but only to the first half of the question!

Staying off the internet is not an option, and I will undoubtedly at some point go to Windows 10. I’m not in any rush to do so, however, and I had hoped that by the time I needed to there wouldn’t be so many problems still arising with it. Meanwhile, those who have abandoned Windows 7 updates for some considerable time are having a much happier and trouble-free time as a result!

• #1967304 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

But they are exposed to more vulnerabilities than those patched. That’s why regular backups are necessary.

cheers, Paul

• #1969645 Reply

doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I think that everybody must pay attention to what are they doing on the internet – where you put your credit card credentials (or even store them to your browser), where you upload your private files, do you store critical passwords to your browser?… these cant be fixed by any patch. Cyphering is maybe the solution? It depends on every user itself, how they behave. No matter what OS they use.

Updates of W10 didnt crashed any of our company computers totally, but it messes up with settings, drivers and applications – that can cause problems. For example when we went from 1703 to 1809, Autocad LT2011 stopped working and there is no way how to run it on 1809.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
            --- Thomas A. Edison

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  doriel. Reason: oh grammar
    • #1968162 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

This time I do not understand why Microsoft is not doing what they should do if they truly think we are at risk. All they have done is let the attackers get the ability to understand the vulnerability and have not done their part to keep the masses safe from this risk. Given that I do not see evidence of anything but targeted specific attacks and not rank and file mass attacks, I’m recommending that you not install anything that includes these out of band IE updates at this time.

You would have liked some of the updates to have been released by a different method, although a patch or workaround for the IE 0-day was available from Day 1 for anyone who needed it. But you would still have recommended that no one should install them anyway, even if they need to use IE?

It seems strange to me that you say Microsoft “have not done their part to keep the masses safe from this risk” when protection has been provided, but you advise that it should be ignored. Are the specific IE security update catalog downloads from Day 1 likely to break anything other than IE?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1968238 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Yes, you can’t install .net 3.5 on Windows 10 1903 with the IE only update.  By definition an out of band update should be pushed automatically to users.   Anytime Microsoft has done an out of band they PUSHED updates.  They’ve never before made end users go get them.

John Q Windows update user is not getting these updates

Just because you don’t use IE doesn’t mean you are immune.  Attackers can “call” IE through a phishing email.  I don’t see chatter that it’s in active attacks.  So until Microsoft gets their windows update publishing act together, I’m not willing to recommend installing it.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – the optional 1903 that includes the IE patch is out

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.