News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – watch out for banner ad scams

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – watch out for banner ad scams

This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  CK722RAY 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

Never ever stick a user name and password into such a page. (I was reading a story from news recap page and that suddenly popped over the entire page)
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – watch out for banner ad scams]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2014659 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

To use Task Manager, push Ctrl+Alt+Del, choose Task Manager, right-click on the browser in the task manager list and choose End Task.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2014984 Reply

Speccy
        AskWoody Lounger

Shift+Ctrl+ESC takes you directly to Task Manager (sparing one click a day keeps the doctor [and wrist injuries] away). 😉

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2014674 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

To use Task Manager, push Ctrl+Alt+Del, choose Task Manager, right-click on the browser in the task manager list and choose End Task.

What good will closing Edge do ? The next time you open Edge at the same site you will get that page again.

• #2014713 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Actually no, it will ask if you want to restore the page and then you say no and it doesn’t.  Chrome does likewise.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2014679 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

Some ad and pop up blockers work.

• #2014697 Reply

anonymous

Firefox’s popup blocker does not fully disable certain classes of popups unless one goes into  about:config  and removes all the contents of that Popup exception string variable.

And folks need to be totally NON-Trusting of any “System”  messages that popup inside any browser session. So it’s best to end the entire browser session and see if that popup is related to some actual system generated message. And I’ll never give any username/login credentials to anyone  via a browser session or any remote session that’s not my actual Windows system startup login screen that’s generated by/from my local system. I do not even feel save booting up and logging onto my system when it’s connected to any Ethernet/WiFi router as I’d rather be unconnected for my entire boot-up log-in process just to be safe.

And a really good indicator that it’s likely a scam is when you go to end your browser session and the browser’s normal close the browser functionality has been taken over and the task manager has to be started to kill the browser process.

It’s a good Idea to turn off all the Browser session Auto-Recovery functionality to not get caught in a loop or maybe do a file cleanup of the Internet session cache contents with that option check-marked to put a stop to that hijacking  tactic.

• #2014708 Reply

anonymous

I have gotten these types of “hostage” pop-up windows that you have to use the task manager to get rid of every time I have ever clicked on anything in the Edge home page from the very first time I ever used Edge on a brand new laptop computer; and the home page was the first place I went to on that brand new laptop with Windows 10 version 1709. I wanted to see what the Edge home page was like the first time I ever used Edge on that machine, which was shipped with 1709 already installed. And that same behavior still occurred again after every feature upgrade was installed, through 1803, 1809, 1903, and now 1909. It still happens whenever I click on anything in the Edge home page, but no where else. Another reason to never use the Edge browser.

• #2014740 Reply

gborn
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve observed several AdCloaking campains in the last weeks – some advertising networks are misused to distribute malicious ads. In one case only IE was affected, In another case, whe have had only UMTS mobile connection on iPhones that are getting redirected to popups.

Microsoft Windows Insider MVP, Microsoft Answers Community Moderator, Blogger, Book author

https://www.borncity.com/win/

• #2014754 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

ALT+F4 can also close a troublesome browser without any additional steps involved.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #2015147 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Not For Me !! New tabs mostly ;(

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #2014807 Reply

uBlock Origin just might fend off this sort of thing.

Also, a warning on using it:

Been running FF for about a couple of months now, and had 3 extensions on it:

Ad Block Plus

uBlock Origin (this CAN be a memory hog, there are ways to limit that)

Dark Reader

Had a BSOD while watching a streaming movie, and after rooting around found, in uBlock’s fine print that you shouldn’t run Ad Block Plus with it, as it can “cause problems, and uBlock’s lists and anti-scripting functions are pretty much the same.”

Huh!

I doubted it, but uninstalled Ad Block Plus; after a week I haven’t had a lockup or a BSOD, nor seen an ad since, period.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

• #2014888 Reply

ve2mrx
        AskWoody Plus

Hi!

My recipe is to use ScriptSafe and uBlock Origin (with all ad blocking disabled, websites need income too!). Those two will handle most bad advertising. On top of those, I use the EFF addons HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger. With those four, no script will run unless authorized, known crypto miners and other badware will be blocked, tracking will be seriously reduced and HTTPS will be forced when compatible.

Of course, script blocking will require your attention frequently, and it is for more advanced users. I think many pages are bloated with third-party tracking scripts and other junk-y stuff and could be simplified. If they don’t do it, I will 😉

Next, I use IDN safe to protect against fake sites mimicking known website names. You know, those that use international characters in their names but very much look like known website  names?

If you use those addons (available on Firefox and Chrome) you should be much safer. But please continue user education!!!

Martin

• #2016186 Reply

CK722RAY
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Susan and others on the heads up for this item.

Got HIT this afternoon with a “Google Chrome Critical Error” message.
      The RED screen said “PALAEECHINOIDEA.XYZ/EN/?SEARCH=….” wanted to alert me!
      See attached RED screen capture.

As noted, I closed down Chrome Browser, once reopened I deleted the item from the Chrome HISTORY section, and ran the MS Defender “OFFLINE” scan just to be safe.

My computer is a Desktop, Non-Network, stand alone single user HP computer running Windows 10 1903 x86 Home Edition. (Update version 1909 is available to me but still on Hold)

Again, thanks all.

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – watch out for banner ad scams

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.