News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – what’s this thing called Teams

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – what’s this thing called Teams

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

If you have Office 365 pro plus you are in the group that Microsoft is your deployment admin.  And your deployment admin (Microsoft) pushed out Teams
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – what’s this thing called Teams]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1924314 Reply

warrenrumak
      AskWoody Plus

Sort of scratching my head at the assertion made in the post that “there’s no obvious way for a regular user to suppress Teams and stop it starting”….. because there is:

Untitled

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1924716 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Well at least Teams seems to cope just fine with running on multiple devices.

Unlike Skype for Business, which just… didn’t.

• #1925701 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Skype for Business is a superior program for instant-messaging a coworker or group of coworkers, and for remote control of someone’s desktop. And it has a really small footprint.

If Teams is in fact replacing Skype for Business, I hope it has all of that.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #1925710 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

No, Skype for Business is not very superior at messaging… if your coworker is logged in on multiple devices, Skype for Business delivers reliably messages to *at least one* of those, and which device it is may change between messages.

Not fun.

Teams delivers to *all* of the active devices. (Oh and there’s an actual Linux client too.)

Also I haven’t seen it make a mess of a phone’s contact listing yet.

Footprint isn’t actually very small though, and it has an overabundance of features.

• #1926695 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

I use Skype for Business as an integral part of my job:
          * I teach classes to groups of students, and I use Skype to screen-share to the group.
          * I instant-message one or more of my coworkers.
          * I do remote-control of the user’s computer as part of my tech-support duties.

For all of these scenarios, Skype for Business is superior. Not sure about any other scenario, because this is all I do with Skype.

For me it has a small footprint – it stays in the background unless someone tries to contact me. I don’t even notice that it’s there unless I look for it.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – what’s this thing called Teams

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.