Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patch Lady – Windows 10 annoyances

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Patch Lady – Windows 10 annoyances

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

One of the annoyances of Windows 10/Microsoft store is the 10 block.  Yes, I’m calling it the 10 block.  Where you can only have 10 devices hooked to
      [See the full post at: Patch Lady – Windows 10 annoyances]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #201830 Reply

anonymous

I have 8 devices myself: 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 tablets, a smartphone and a chromebook. But the most annoying thing I have found about Windows 10 version 1803 so far is this: after every cumulative update (twice a month), a certain routine runs that takes about 2 minutes, uses 50-to-60 percent cpu capacity (Kaby Lake core i7 7700) on my HP Omen laptop, and generates exactly 28 event 822 warnings in the event viewer under the heading “MDM Policy Manager.” It seems to have something to do with searching for Enterprise version setup files and coming back with the reply “file not found.” It’s actually 7 distinctly different warnings; but it repeats four times, producing 28 warnings under Event 822. After much searching, I’m told that I can disable the MDM Policy Manager in the Group Policy settings; but I have the Home version of Windows 10 1803, and don’t know how to do that.

• #201911 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

There isn’t a group policy editor in Home versions.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #201917 Reply

MikeFromMarkham
          AskWoody Lounger

Haven’t tried this myself as I no longer have Windows 10 on any of my devices, but… If you do a quick search, you’ll find several sources for enabling group policy editor on windows 7, 8.1 or 10 home editions… Here’s just one link to a site that, in my personal experience, generally provides reliable advice … https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

• #201919 Reply

AlexEiffel
            AskWoody MVP

Adding group policy editor to Windows doesn’t work. I’ve done extensive research on this and posted the results here at Askwoody about differences between home and pro version. You think it works, but all you did is add the group policy editor, you create policy files, but they are ignored by Windows…

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #201921 Reply

Susan Bradley
              AskWoody MVP

Adding a registry key is typically the only workaround.  And then you need to find the RIGHT registry key.  Bottom line let me look in my fleet and see if I’m seeing that behavior here.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
            • #202038 Reply

anonymous

Alex, I have the Pro version and can not test this link instructions, but people in the Comments section say that they have been able to  “enable” gpedit.msc in ‘Home’ version by using this website batch file instructions, as of  June 25,2018.  Would you be able to test this?

https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

• #202124 Reply

AlexEiffel
              AskWoody MVP

If you look at some comments you will see exactly what I said earlier. Some people think it works because they can use gpedit.msc but the policy files are not processed. It doesn’t work. There are some settings you can change on home version using the registry but you can have a different setting in your policy file and it will never override the registry setting you put manually.

see https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/tweaking-standalone-pcs-htfdlgpw-or-how-to-feel-da-local-group-policys-working/

• #202186 Reply

anonymous

Alex, thank you for your serious and extensive research, and for sharing here. Your link to the previous article is helpful. Recommended reading for those wishing to learn. Thank you Alex.

• #201835 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Lounger

As Greg Keizer & Woody also mention, Windows 10 “devices” are also counted as Xbox consoles, tablets & IoT doohickeys. BTW, since Harman Kardon INVOKE speakers have Cortana, do they count as Win10 devices?

Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #201858 Reply

ky41083
      AskWoody Lounger

Imagine if Android had a 10 device limit per Google account (SMH)

• #201859 Reply

anonymous

Patch Lady wrote:

I end up with 10 all the time. And then when I want to go into the store to download an app (typically I’m downloading a theme for someone in the office– seriously–they don’t have a Microsoft account and I’ll download it for them), I end up having to remove a prior device.

I don’t get it why this limit is set so low?

No inside info here, just a theory.

Is it possible this limit was imposed to prevent (strongly discourage?) the very use case you’re describing? By discouraging, in large families and small businesses, use of group-config/”admin”-accounts, Microsoft gets more individual user accounts, more granular data, more specific tracking/targeting…

Maybe?

• #201903 Reply

anonymous

I suspect it’s to keep people from sharing paid-for apps under a single account.  They probably believe most consumers will have less than 10 devices, even including the years ahead for Windows 10.  Most consumers throwing out a laptop and phone every 3 years would mean they’d be looking at 9-12 years before hitting their limit.  And as for families?  Well they all need to pay for the app since it’s per user.

• #201875 Reply

numike
      AskWoody Lounger

I know this is a   rant from an amateur but I am tired of my Windows 10 1709 OS Build 16299.522 asking to update (I presume to 1803) and it NEVER updates but reverts to my previous version and yes I have installed and run the assistant . Grrrrrrrrr!!

• #201896 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Anything in the windows update log to give you a clue?  Have you attempted the install using https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 the media/ISO install method?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #202005 Reply

Jan K.
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, at least we now know, why it’s called Windows 10.

• #202007 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10, the double digit OS and not hands free either 🙂

| 2x Group A- W8.1 | Group A+ Linux Hybrid | Group W W7 Pro | Group W XP Pro
          No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #202029 Reply

anonymous

My biggest annoyance is the amount of bandwidth required per month to keep Windows 10 and MS Office up to date. For those with slow bandwidth like ourselves, this is especially an issue. For example I cannot turn on my Windows 10 PC while my spouse is trying to watch Netflix (SD). I remember Netflix getting charged for using excessive bandwidth, perhaps Microsoft should incur some of these costs as well.

• #202061 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Lounger

Patch Lady wrote:

I end up with 10 all the time. And then when I want to go into the store to download an app (typically I’m downloading a theme for someone in the office– seriously–they don’t have a Microsoft account and I’ll download it for them), I end up having to remove a prior device. I don’t get it why this limit is set so low?

No inside info here, just a theory. Is it possible this limit was imposed to prevent (strongly discourage?) the very use case you’re describing? By discouraging, in large families and small businesses, use of group-config/”admin”-accounts, Microsoft gets more individual user accounts, more granular data, more specific tracking/targeting… Maybe?

And maybe even more  ‘devices’ or ‘things’ to count as Win10 users…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patch Lady – Windows 10 annoyances

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.