News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patching Report for Feb Win 7 ESU

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Patching Report for Feb Win 7 ESU

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 week, 1 day ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author

I hope I picked the right forum for this, and not have landed in the sub-sub-sub basement of sector ZZ plural Z-Alpha, but here’s my patching report. Went ahead with it due to a personal schedule that’s gone mad, and this was the only time I had. This is my first patch session as a Win 7 ESU.

Was offered and installed 2020-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4537820)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 – February 2020 (KB890830)

The system did a double reboot (this is getting to be the norm, past 3 updates), checked Update again, saw and installed 2020-02 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4537829)

Rebooted for the heck of it, checked WU again, have the green shield, and “No more important updates” notice.

The machine seems to be working OK, so far. As the guy who fell off the Empire State Building said as he passed the 50th floor, “So far, so good!”

Thanks, Susan, for your help and guidance!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode. ESU 1 yr."
        --
        "Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean you're good at everything." -Anonymous

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211590 Reply
        anonymous

Hey Nibbled…

How have you got WU configured? In WU settings, do you have “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.” checked or un-checked?

Thanks…. Trying to shoot a WU issue. (We’re licensed for the ESU updates also).

• #2211822 Reply
        anonymous

Try checking that box you’re referring to, and try WU again. It should come back with the March rollup and the Malicious Software Removal Tool along with any Office updates that it thinks you need. Hide all of the updates listed in the “Important” category and ignore the ones listed in the “Optional” category, and rerun Windows Update by clicking on the blue link on the top left side of the Windows Update window that says “Check for updates”, once you’ve finished hiding all the updates it came up with. If it comes back with an update that says it’s a “Preview” update of any kind, hide that as well and rerun Windows Update. You should now be presented with the SSU released in March by WU.

If you have already installed the March SSU via download from the catalog site, then you won’t get any results after hiding all the other updates listed as “Important” by Windows Update.

Strangely enough, I have that “Recommended Updates” box checked and I have always gotten the SSU’s after either installing or hiding all of the other updates for a given month. I haven’t seen an update listed as “Recommended” in quite a long time.

The SSU’s I’ve installed in the past have been listed as “Important” by WU when I’ve clicked the “View update history” link within Windows Update, but who knows what’s really going on behind the scenes with WU. It could be that, for some reason, WU thinks that the SSU is only “Recommended” when it’s going through the list of available updates to present to you, so you’re not seeing it because you’ve told WU not to present “Recommended” updates to you.

R/

Just Another Anonymous User

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patching Report for Feb Win 7 ESU

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.