News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Patching Selectively

Posted on SMSPacificNW Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Patching Selectively

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joep517 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

SMSPacificNW
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi.

I can get into PatchWatch and download the analyses.  When I go to Windows Update on my Windows 10 machine, I can choose to download or not to download, but I assume that if I choose to download, all the patches/updates will be both downloaded and installed.

Please tell me how to accept only a subset of the Windows patches/updates so I can take advantage of PatchWatch’s research and suggestions.

• #1875069 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Please tell me how to accept only a subset of the Windows patches/updates

Windows 10 doesn’t have selective options for updates (like Windows 7).
      You can use Microsoft’s wushowhide app :
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo and hide the updates you don’t want to install.

• #1875286 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Windows 10 updates are cumulative and complete. The only separation right now is that .NET cumulative updates are separate from Windows 10 updates. As Alex5723 said, you can’t selectively choose individual patches. Since updates are cumulative, if you skip a month you’ll get everything the next time you install patches.

--Joe

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Patching Selectively

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.