News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Pausing (Hiding) updates but want to install 1

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Pausing (Hiding) updates but want to install 1

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Mike
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 1909 Pro

In the images Windows Update is offering me 3 updates.  I can hide all three, but what I’d like to do is delay(pause) and hide two and install the Defender patch (circled in red).  How do I do that?

windowsupdate

Attachments:
      • #2280577 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

1 Use wushowhide to hide the CU and the .NET updates.
        2 Wait until Windows Update checks for updates again on its own and the hidden ones will be gone.
        3 Install the Defender patch.

Instead of “2” (if you are in a hurry) you can use the procedure in AKB2000013 to clear the hidden updates from the queue. Read it carefully and follow every step.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2280587 Reply
          WSaltamirano
          AskWoody Lounger

PK, you say “wait until Windows update checks for updates on its own” .

Does this mean that the Windows update service must be set to “Automatic” ?

If it’s on manual, the user have to click on “search for update”

• #2280589 Reply
            Coldheart9020
            AskWoody Lounger

Still keep Group Policy set to ‘2’ and the WU service set to Manual (as if stopped it will still be able to run when needed). I only learned very recently that Windows Update does not require the user to actually click ‘Check for updates’; it will do so on its own given enough time.

Elly and PKCano recently helped me with a similar issue where I was trying to avoid the v2004 update which had made its way into the WU update queue.

The thread contains explanations of how the process works and how to stay in control of updates. It might be useful for you to read for your own use. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2280578 Reply
        Mike
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks a bunch PKCano.  With over 13K replies and a lot of help, do you every sleep?  I really appreciate your knowledge and all the fine folks that detail things on AskWoody.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Pausing (Hiding) updates but want to install 1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.