News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • PC always boots into “Manufacturing Mode”

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog PC always boots into “Manufacturing Mode”

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ascaris 1 week ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa A simple hard-drive upgrade triggered an unusual error. Worse, the problem defies common fixes and can’t be corrected from wit
      [See the full post at: PC always boots into “Manufacturing Mode”]

• #1976540 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I just got an interesting letter from reader Jim Lake. I’ve never used CloudReady, but it sounds interesting. Anybody out there have any experience with it?

Here’s what Jim says:

Users who are still running Window 7 are coming up against a deadline they should not ignore. As noted in the most recent issue of AskWoody (Issue 16.36.0 • 2019-10-07), as of October 7, 2019, there are just 99 days until official support for the Window 7 ends.

Soon the holidays will be upon us and changing operating systems will be the last thing on your mind. Better to consider your alternatives and prepare to make your transition now.

Some Windows 7 users who have not upgraded to Windows 10 have probably been hesitant because they are unsure their current computer is adequate to run Windows 10.

As most AskWoody readers are aware, Microsoft’s published minimum specs for running Windows 10 – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications – do not guarantee a successful upgrade or a smoothly operating Windows 10 computer.

As Susan Bradley pointed out in a recent AskWoody newsletter (Issue 16.32.0 • 2019-09-09), sometimes upgrading an older computer that has served you well is not the best solution. Instead she recommends, “For your daily activities that need security, dependability, and speed, purchase a new Windows 10 machine.”

For the user who primarily uses their Windows 7 computer for email, Internet browsing, and creating an occasional document, most of the Linux variants will run probably run successfully on your computer and meet your needs, but that option does require learning a completely new OS.

Another option for this type of user is to purchase a Chromebook. There are a few downsides to this solution in my opinion. First, although most Chromebooks are relatively inexpensive, they are not free. Second, Chromebooks have a limited lifespan, usually six and a half years at most, based on Google’s hardware support policy. Finally, unless you purchase from a vendor with a generous return policy, you can not test drive a Chromebook to see if you like it.

If you have a computer that is less than ten years old, I would propose a solution that has not previously been mentioned in this newsletter – CloudReady. CloudReady turns almost any computer into a Chrome device.

CloudReady is free for personal use by individuals and offers many of the advantages of a Chromebook. Also, Neverware has done extensive testing to determine compatibility on a wide range of computers. Finally, even if your computer is not on the compatible computer list, it may very well run CloudReady, and it very likely will run CloudReady better than Windows 10.

Admittedly, your CloudReady computer will have some limitations compared to a genuine Chromebook. Google has added support for running Android apps via integration with the Google Play Store on many newer Chromebooks; this functionality is not available on CloudReady. For a more complete list of differences see – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sQk0Gw4ZYo_HkuFnHwbYESnAa_lav2lN/view

Despite these differences, CloudReady does offer users security, dependability, and speed at little or no cost.

You can test CloudReady by creating the USB installer and then live-booting the device from the USB stick. This allows you to test drive CloudReady without overwriting your current operating system. If it works to your satisfaction, back up your user files to a portable drive and install CloudReady on your current Windows 7 computer.

Even better, remove your Windows 7 hard drive, replace it with an inexpensive SSD, and install CloudReady on the new SSD. You can always reinstall your Windows 7 drive, if you are dissatisfied with CloudReady. See the technical requirements here – https://guide.Neverware.com/technical-details/#general-hardware-recommendations.

For those AskWoody readers who provide computer support for family and/or friends who are still running Windows 7 on their computers, especially those who use Chrome as their browser of choice, I highly recommend you check out CloudReady at http://www.Neverware.com/#intro.

This isn’t an endorsement. I’ve never used CloudReady. But it sure sounds like a worthwhile product. Anybody out there know it?

• #1976700 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

Typically, end users/consumers encounter Manufacturing Mode only after a complete mainboard replacement — or at the first power-on of a new, built-from-components, do-it-yourself PC.

I’ve built quite a few of those, and I have never heard of manufacturing mode before.

The easiest way to test the UEFI-area hypothesis is would be to disconnect the drive and see what it does.  I’ve had Aomei do weird stuff before (it restored a GPT volume as MBR, when the PC in question had never had a MBR formatted disk in it, and in fact cannot boot from MBR at all), so it would not surprise me much.

The motherboard may have a clear CMOS jumper somewhere that may help where popping out the battery did not.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.16.5).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: PC always boots into “Manufacturing Mode”

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.