News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • PC turns itself OFF during overnight SLEEP

Posted on NonnoMarioD Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 PC turns itself OFF during overnight SLEEP

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mledman 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

NonnoMarioD
      AskWoody Plus

I usually put my laptop (plugged in) on overnight sleep. For the past month or so when I went to open it the next morning I noticed the laptop was no longer on and had to be restarted. Is there any limit to “sleep”, has it been changed by the latest win10 update, or ?? I’ve run several antivirus apps (Bitdefender, CCleaner  etc) to see if there was a potential virus with NO negative results.

Any idea what could have caused this behavior?

Anything else I should check?

Thanks.

• #2100443 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

This sounds suspiciously like you might have a crash report awaiting you.

Start with checking Windows Reliability, as mentioned in this howtogeek article, How to Find Out Why Your Windows PC Crashed or Froze. If something has crashed, it should have a record of it, and let you get started in tracking it down.

• #2110746 Reply

anonymous

Reliability Monitor lists several occurrences spread out over time during last 5-8 days. Spread is not daily. Every few days actually. Reported occurrences list: “ReminderServices.exe stopped responding” occurring around the 2:00AM timeframe (don’t know what the exe file does); but again NOT every day . In fact, no report for the last several days yet had to turn pc on from scratch every day. Puzzling!

• #2100448 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

The first thing I do when something mysteriously changes is to check those settings.

sleepsettings

And as Kirsty suggested, check your “Reliability Monitor”. Just type that name in the desk top search box. Any yellow triangles show an issue. Clicking on one will open dialog drop down telling you what the problem was.  (not necessarily a crash) The one you see in this image is a program failing to install.

reliability-meter

Attachments:
    • #2109956 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

In the morning is it really off (ie it opens to the desktop with no programs) or is it hibernating (when it turns on the same programs that were running last night are still open)?

• #2110724 Reply

anonymous

In the morning the pc is completely off. Need to push the pwr button. PC comes on , Windows 10 launches freshly and properly. NO trouble messages.

When I put it to sleep at night, I close all open apps, clear all cookies (via CCleaner) and hit the sleep button.

• #2110741 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Check this setting in Control Panel\Power Options
          It’s in the Advanced settings.
          See if changing it makes a difference. It may affect battery longivity, so if it doesn’t do any good, remember to retern it to it’s original value.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-27-at-12.36.11-PM

Attachments:
    • #2110896 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

As a test, leave an app running and hit the sleep button.

Win 10 home - 1909
      Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: PC turns itself OFF during overnight SLEEP

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.