• PC World Software Store OEM Win 10 Home/Pro

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » PC World Software Store OEM Win 10 Home/Pro

Author
    Topic

Now that I know 0patch will not be supporting Windows 8.1 EOL like they are with Win 7 I have to change the OS on my three 8.1 pc’s.

I have a Dell laptop, an Asus laptop and a Dell desktop all running 8.1. It’s not a popular OS but I like it alot.

Rather than buy new PC’s I’m going to install Win 10 on them. It took awhile but I’m used to 10 now and I see no reason to buy new.

PC World has a software store with good prices on Win 10 Home and Pro. I understand they are for 1 PC and non transferable. I’m ok with that.

Compared to the folks here on ask woody I’m not very computer literate. I sure admire y’all for your depth of knowledge.

I’m going to attempt these upgrades myself.

Does anyone here have any experience purchasing from the PC World Software store?
    <h4></h4>

"An analog kid in a digital world"

Win7 Ultimate home built desktop Running 0patch Pro

Win 8.1 desktop & two 8.1 laptops (just updated to Win 10)

Win 10 Dell desktop

and two very old home built Win XP desktops (offline for use with an old Epsom Photo scanner)

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I Purchased Win 10 Pro in 2020 for my wife’s new homebuilt desktop; no problems to date. Unsure with some of these installs if the OS can be transferred to a new machine, however. Make sure it’s not an OEM version.

I have a Dell laptop, an Asus laptop and a Dell desktop all running 8.1.

If your Dell laptop,  Asus laptop and Dell desktop all came originally with Windows 8.1 (or 8) then the relevant product ID needed to upgrade to Windows 10 for free (same edition) will be embedded in the BIOS/UEFI.

You can follow these instructions.

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Thank you for that link, I’ve bookmarked it to follow step by step.

I did read that it may be possible to upgrade to 10 for free and yes, all three PC’s came with 8.1 installed.  I also checked the product ID keys, they are OEM versions of Win 8.

My brother has suggested I don’t attempt the upgrade. He said he’s never had one go smoothly without a clean install. He’s probably right. I also think he’s worried he’ll end up cleaning up my “mess”

Win 10 Dell desktop

and two very old home built Win XP desktops (offline for use with an old Epsom Photo scanner)

Back when 10 came out I upgraded a bunch of machines with very few issues. Best upgrade experience I’ve ever had with Windows. Give it a whirl – after having good backups  – and see how it works! I actually have a new client that has done upgrades on 7 machines and only 1 was squirrely  but I was able to fix it up without a repair install which I thought I’d have to do.

Never Say Never

I upgraded my new computer from a new copy of 8.0 Pro to 10 Pro without incident, but no other software was yet installed (new computer).

Zig

As Rick’s post notes above, you should be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free if you so choose; however, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you going to upgrade all three of your Win 8.1 systems if you’re happy with them?

Contrary to what MS would have you believe, your systems will continue to work just fine after support for them ends in January 2023.  Personally, I would continue to use all three of them until they turn into three piles of dust and dust. There are lots of people here who would be more than happy to help you run 8.1 safely for years if you so choose.

The bottom line is you should only upgrade to Win 10 if you want to, not because MS wants you to.

This, of course, is just my own opinion and I’m certainly not trying to tell you what to do.

Actually 7Pro you echo exactly what my brother said when I brought this up. He saw no reason to upgrade either.

Yes I do love my 8.1 PC’s.  In fact I specifically looked for the 8.1 desktop on ebay to replace another one that died. I’ve found it to be a very stable, simple to use OS

I also like 8.1 because of the control it gives me (I have been a Group B security “patcher” for years). I have been very happy with 0patch on my Win 7  (I still apply the security updates using the stand alone installer) and was really hoping they would offer the same for 8/8.1

I would prefer not to upgrade. My only concern is security after January.

Win 10 Dell desktop

1 user thanked author for this post.

I am happily still on Win 7.

Do an Advanced Search here on AW for excellent advice by [Canadian Tech], spread throughout many of his replies.

CanTech

1 user thanked author for this post.

My only concern is security after January.

I wouldn’t worry too much with Win 8.1 ~2% market share (Win 7 ~11%)

Issues that affect multiple versions of Windows won’t be patched for W7/8 so security is still an issue.

cheers, Paul

I would prefer not to upgrade. My only concern is security after January.

You might like to review the ideas and suggestions offered in this topic. Most everything that’s discussed there is equally applicable to Windows 8.x.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions or if you run into any issues.

Good luck!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: PC World Software Store OEM Win 10 Home/Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: