News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • PDF attachments through email

Posted on WSk32rem Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software PDF attachments through email

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  WSk32rem 1 day, 8 hours ago.

• Author

WSk32rem
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a weird situation with receiving PDF attachments from a customer.  These attachments are sent to two other people at our company with no problem.  I am the only one getting this person’s emails without the attachments.  To add to the weirdness, I am able to get the attachments from another person’s email in this customer’s office.  I use Mailwasher Pro to screen my emails and my email program is Incredimail, both of which I’ve used for many years with no problems like this before.  What could be preventing one person’s PDF attachments from getting through to me while another person in the same office can get them to me with no problems?  And why can the other two people in my office get them?

• #1977770 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

What could be preventing one person’s PDF attachments from getting through to me while another person in the same office can get them to me with no problems? And why can the other two people in my office get them?

Well. Clearly something must be different… and I’m not familiar Mailwasher Pro or Incredimail anyway so I’m just going by how email generally works… but, are the other people at your company using those as well?

What are you using for the mail server? Does the server do any filtering? Do you have an alternate method to access the server? (Exchange and Exchange Online usually have the web interface available…)

Did find some old examples of someone complaining about Incredimail hiding attachments, years ago already.

As far as technology goes… anything in the delivery path and anything that can write into your mailbox “may” alter the messages. Dropping attachments from suspected spam isn’t unheard of, either.

• #1977775 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

Add the people you want to receive attachments from to your friends list.

Beyond that, there are too many options and filters available in both of those products to tell you *exactly* what’s going on here. We’d have to know how you have both products configured – exactly.

• #1977788 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

I would start by breaking the process apart with some tests.

First have the person send just you alone an attachment.

If fails, have one of the other recipients forward the attachment to you.

If still fails, turn off your MailWasher.

If still fails, use something besides Incredimail.

You need to find out where in the process the failure is.

• #1977808 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Maybe the attachments you are not getting are infected with malware and nobody in your office has become aware of this yet?

I would make this test: (1) Create a PDF yourself and mail it to yourself. If it gets back to you, (2) send your PDF to the person that so far is sending you PDF documents that you do not receive and tell that person to send it back to you without opening it first. (3) If you get it back, compare it to the PDF you sent, to see if they are exactly the same and, or scan it  for bugs that might have been attached when in the other person’s PC, even if it was not opened there.

There is a chance that the problem might not be in your computer, because of your software, but because something much more serious is going on in your office.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1981275 Reply

WSk32rem
      AskWoody Lounger

Okay, the person I am having a problem receiving the attachments from sent me, alone, an email with a test attachment, different from what she sends when distributing POs to all of us.  I received that with no problem.  The next time she sent a blanket email with another PO – nothing.  I asked he to send me the PO to just me; again, nothing.  I think for now I’m just going to have one of the other employees here forward me their copies (which has been working; another weird thing).  Thanks to all of you for your input.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: PDF attachments through email

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel