News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Periodic scan function, offline scan

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Periodic scan function, offline scan

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

I run Malwarebytes Premium on W 1909 on a Dell XPS PC with a pretty fast 512 GB SSD for the C drive, which has a little over a third used space. I log on with a user, not admin, account unless installing software or something admin-like, which is very rare.

This morning, the first time in a month or so, I decided to run a manual Windows Defender scan; I usually don’t remember to do this, as you can tell. The periodic scan function was turned off, though I thought I had left it on last time, so I turned it on (entering the admin password as typically required in the dialogue prompt), and noticed a feature I hadn’t been aware of, under Options — the offline scan. It seemed a good thing to do, so I ran it, getting a screen that said it would take about 15 minutes. The machine duly went into what looks like a boot mode, with B&W Dell logo screen, then a blue one with Defender’s moving green line in the middle to show it was scanning. but it only took about 15 seconds before returning me to my Windows password logon screen. I left it for about 10 minutes anyway, then logged back in and checked the security page again. The function was turned off, and it indicated no recent activity.

I turned it back on, ran a quick scan, then tried the offline scan again. This time it took several minutes, with the Dell screen staying on longer (maybe a minute) and displaying a “Please wait” before going to the Defender screen. Checking Windows security page again after logging back on, the function has remained on this time, and the quick scan is displayed, 1 min 20 sec with this-many files scanned, no threats. No mention of the  offline scan.

Does all this seem normal?

Thanks.

• #2299903 Reply
        anonymous
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Periodic scan function, offline scan

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.