Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Personalizing Desktop Update Settings

Posted on rankamateur Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Personalizing Desktop Update Settings

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rankamateur 6 hours, 21 minutes ago.

• Author

rankamateur
      AskWoody Lounger

Help. Have always ONLY installed critical Windows Updates manually, not including Recommended Updates, per the advice of this Forum. (Running Win 7 on an original Vista, Dell Studio 17).

The last 2 times I’ve run/installed said updates, after restarting- I get a black screen, with a small window, stating: “Personalizing Desktop Update Settings”. And it never goes away. Never. Have tried various attempts to proceed- shut off/remove battery/turn on/safe mode/ you name it. The only fix that works is to restore to original state, essentially uninstalling updates. Have looked on MS Support, appears this has been going on for years, to the point of the threads being locked. Have not found a solution that applies to my situation. Do I just forget about ever, ever doing any Windows Updates ever again?? Sheesh 🙄

• #230929 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Can you give us more information.
      What version of Win7 are you running (Home Premium, Pro, Ultiamte)?
      What updates have you installed manually since you started having the problem?
      Have you installed any other updates (drivers, microcode, programs or their updates)?
      Do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

• #232426 Reply

rankamateur
      AskWoody Lounger

TY for your reply, PKCano.

Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Which Updates: KB4457016; KB4462923; KB4457008 have installation date of 11/03/18 – all that remains as of recent after returning to it’s previous state. If I run Windows Update again, the Important Update it identifies is KB4457918- which I had installed before, and all this started. Under Optional, KB4462500 is listed- which I thought might be the more recent and perhaps could be my problem solver, attempted that. Nope- same result.

There’s 46 optional updates listed for me, running back to 2011.

Have installed Adobe Acrobat Reader update 19.008.20080.

Had to purchase a new printer and install. All that I recall regarding other changes.

Sorry, if hardware acceleration is enabled, I have no idea. Where do I find that setting?

TY again.

• #232523 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

If you have uninstalled updates to that things are normal again, I’m going to suggest you give the updates another week or two and see what Nov holds in store.

In the meantime, Go into Device Manager and determine what video card you have. Then take that information and the make and model of your computer and see if there are any updated device drivers on the OEM mfg’s website. Be sure they are for Win7. Look for chipset and video in particular. Dell is really good about having a list if you have the service tag, a five or six digit alpha-numeric.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #234478 Reply

rankamateur
          AskWoody Lounger

PKCano:

Researched according to the service tag. Seems the updated driver I had for the chipset/video was advanced for what Dell said was an urgent update I needed (?) Went back to the version Dell indicated for the machine, despite what Intel had available. (Old –  2011 release)

Maybe that will rectify things? Thanks. I would look into a better video card for it, but considering it’s age, am hesitant to.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Personalizing Desktop Update Settings

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.